Range Rover L405 (Fourth Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover 405 within.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Bank 2 Sensor 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 05:30 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oxygen Sensor Replacement Bank 2 Sensor 1

Hello, looking to get a little advice on how to change an O2 sensor. The sensor is Bank 2 Sensor 1 on my L405 supercharged.

From what I understand (bank 2 sensor 1) is the forward oxygen sensor on the driver side (US model). It's in a very tight position. I can't figure out how to get a tool on it and actually have leverage to break it loose.

I've removed both engine and transmission bash guards and still don't have much access from the underside. I looked in from the top side and it doesn't seem possible to attack from that side either. Any help here on how its done would be appreciated.

Peter

Last edited by fijibubba; 07-29-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:13 PM
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I will answer my own question.

To remove this O2 Sensor (Driver side, UPSTREAM of the catalytic converter) I had to purchase a special Oxygen sensor wrench from AutoZone. It was 30 bucks and the sensor came right out. Wish I did this this morning as I've spent 8 hours already trying to get it out with my old O2 sensor removal tool that wouldn't for no matter how I positioned it.

This is the tool you WILL need:

The tool BELOW is what I normally use but DIDN'T work because you couldn't get on the sensor properly and get any leverage. This tool WON'T WORK BELOW:

FYI, my rover in on the ground. I have it jacked up on the driver side high enough that I can slide under the car. Remember to use jack stands for safety.

Below is how I was able to get on the upstream sensor with the new tool. Remove both engine and transmission bash guards. The sensor on the driver side is very far forward and I believe is attached to the exhaust manifold on the top side of it. There are six oxygen sensors on the L405 full size supercharged 5.0L V8. FYI, the 2 Upstream ones are DIFFERENT from the 4 down stream ones.

Upstream O2 Sensor Removal (Driver side- Bank 2 sensor 1):

First, find the connector, squeeze it and disconnect it. Then, use the Oxygen Sensor Removal tool and engage the sensor from under the car. The sensor is on the top side of the Manifold. The tool's handle will be accessible to get a small amount of leverage as it will hang down below the exhaust section leading back to the catalytic converter. There isn't much room, but there is enough and I have large meaty hands. When the tool is on the sensor it is hard to see when you are in the positing to actually pull on the tool.

Below is the bank 2 sensor 1 (Upstream of cat sensor on the driver side) I removed. I purchased a replacement at AutoZone for $236.00. The part was:

Denso Exact Fit Oxygen Sensor 234-5156

NOTE: The 4 oxygen sensors down stream are different. There are 6 Oxygen sensors all together.

Total job time should take approx an hour and a half if the sensor isn't stuck. Mine wasn't.