Range Rover P38 (2nd Gen) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover P38 within.

no crank, no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 10:11 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank, no start

hello, disregard the old post, couldn't figure out how to delete. 2000 rover 4.0. So I replaced the cooling plate under the throttle body due to a leak. the car started right up after. I let it run. shut it off, used the garden hose to spray the under carriage and valve cover of old coolant, no the car will not crank. I put a new fuse box in from the dealer and still nothing. the dash says gear box fault and then dash will not indicate what gear you are in. the side of the shifter does light up what gear you are in tho. I unplugged the xyz on the side of the tranny and plugged back in and I hear a click when I do that sop im assuming that's good. I jumped the starter relay and it still doesn't crank. I don't think it is a starter issue tho I think the gearbox light and no gear on dash is the problem.... any thought? thanks.

Old 06-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a scanner that can scan for trouble codes? if so scan the ecm for codes and clear them. I have a 98 p38 that I went out to start one night after work and it would not crank. I spent about 40 hrs tracing electrical system and found lots of things that where good but nothing that was wrong. on a recommendation from a forum member I contacted RSW Solutions and purchased the ESAunlock program to load into my lap top and the hardware to connect to the diagnostic system in the truck and when I cleared the codes the truck started right up. took about a minuet and a half. hope that helps. the one thing I almost forgot-- when you turn the key on does your "check engine" light come on? if it does not you have triggered the immobilizer in the antitheft system and you need to clear the codes to reset it.