Range Rover Sport L320 (2005-2013) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.

Car won't start and can switch off when driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car won't start and can switch off when driving

Hello all. I have a Range Rover Sport HSE 2011, 3.0 diesel. About a month ago there was a situation when I turned the car on and nothing happened. Just like that - no power at all, I even couldn't lock the car. I called service and they came to me with a car lift in case I needed it, but the service guy managed to get it back to life by just touching the fuses under the hood and everything went back to normal. Situations like this happened four times again, but these times I knew what to do myself, and all times I when this happened, I could fix this quickly by just checking the fuses box, sometimes even just taking off the box lid, and it turned back on. This of course is very weird. This is something I knew I need to get the car to service, but there were many days in a row when everything was fine and I just kept using the car.

Then one day, like any other normal day I stopped at a gas station, went to pay, came back, and again - the car won't start (I think it's worth mentioning that before going on the trip, I checked liquids, so the hood was opened one time). Tried the same thing and this time it didn't fix it by doing so, I tried for like half an hour and then somehow I managed to turn it on. This time I felt - that's it, I need to get the car to service asap. Then I traveled to my destination. A few days later I needed to drive back home at night and could you imagine - my car just switched off on the highway in the complete dark and I managed only to get it to stop on the side, the car was completely turned off. Phone lights saved us so that other drivers could see us on the road. I quickly opened the hood and slightly hit on the fuses box and suddenly the car turned back to normal instantly. This situation was scary, because of the nighttime. Before this, a few times when I turned on high beam lights, some warnings switched on in the panel and then they were gone. Weird stuff. Despite these situations, I still think that the problem could be just because somewhere contact is lost at some point. Sometimes when just opening the hood and closing it, next time when the car is turned off and then want to turn it on - the car is dead, and need to open the hood again to push something around the fuses box. Feels like there is some fragile connection somewhere in the fuses box or around it.

Maybe someone had a similar experience and can give me any info on what did you do to fix it and how much it cost. I will appreciate any suggestions.