Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEF Fluid Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 05:43 PM
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DEF Fluid Issues

I have a 2016 TD6 Range Rover. Love it, except for DEF. For past two years, in all cycles but one, I get DEF quality message with no-starts after 249 miles. The dealer has struggled to find root cause and do anything but top off and reset. Finally the dealer just replaced the entire tank including injectors. Hopefully that will work, but interested in other ideas?

The following 2 users liked this post by andylstarr:
mhy@me.com (01-11-2022), Thegiant (12-04-2023)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I don’t have a RR but a diesel BMW X5. I learned to always keep your DEF reservoirs filled up.
If you constantly keep low levels, the reservoir insides tends to crystallize and and causes blockage.

The following users liked this post:
andylstarr (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to think that if it was at the dealer, they updated all the software. Tons of flash updates for Diesels. I've also noticed that in the exhaust where the SCR Injector is, crystals will form inside the pipe and restrict the spray. If you take the SCR Injector out, the injector will look fine, but if you look down inside the exhaust, you might see a "white tunnel" of crystal formation. If so, that needs cleaned out.

Old 01-04-2020, 08:18 PM
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DEF Issues 2016 Td6

Andy - I have the same problem on my Diesel Sport with over 80K. After many trips to the dealership, they are now suggesting a replacement of the Cat Converter is required. Have others found that that is the answer?

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 01-12-2020, 12:29 PM
8th Gear

Most of the time on higher mirage cars the injector hole is stopped up remove def injector from exhaust and clean out hole.

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 03-10-2020, 05:14 PM
HFW
1st Gear

Originally Posted by andylstarr
I have a 2016 TD6 Range Rover. Love it, except for DEF. For past two years, in all cycles but one, I get DEF quality message with no-starts after 249 miles. The dealer has struggled to find root cause and do anything but top off and reset. Finally the dealer just replaced the entire tank including injectors. Hopefully that will work, but interested in other ideas?
Did this help out with your issues with your vehicle? I am having the same problems and my software was reset but it happened again. They are only replacing the injectors so I’m hoping that will be the answer to this crazy issue. Love my ride but really over it.

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HenryS
Andy - I have the same problem on my Diesel Sport with over 80K. After many trips to the dealership, they are now suggesting a replacement of the Cat Converter is required. Have others found that that is the answer?
I am in the exact same situation with only a little over 40K on my 2016 RRS. For now the error was simply deleted, but I was alerted it would pop up again soon and the Cat Converter should be replaced, for which they want to charge me over 1,5K Pounds. So, did you find a solution other than replacing the cat converter? Thanks!

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:09 AM
1st Gear
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by protego
I am in the exact same situation with only a little over 40K on my 2016 RRS. For now the error was simply deleted, but I was alerted it would pop up again soon and the Cat Converter should be replaced, for which they want to charge me over 1,5K Pounds. So, did you find a solution other than replacing the cat converter? Thanks!
Inhave been dealing with this issue 7 times in last three months. Def ineffective quality level no engine restarts in xxx Miles. 2016 RRS HSE TD6. 56000 miles on it . They have force regen, replaced def injector , updated software , pressure tested exhaust ,found a leak, replaced injector again with a seal and clamp where leak was. Now it’s in shop and they are dropping the tank cleaning it and replacing new def fluid. I have corporate RR notified , the dealership with a lawyer (they have been ridiculous so I had to in case) I bought this car in oct and they have had it more than me. Mind you my payments are still due .

it’s to point sadly where I just want to trade it for something more reliable bc I see this is very common with year and model.

any news for you?

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 09:25 AM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same message on the console screen .. was driving, currently 63K mi ... had just topped off tank with fuel, within 15 mins the message came up, got home and topped off tank with 2gals DEF, i've checked the injector, it is clean, started car, nothing coming out, rapped on exhaust pipe, started again, nothing, pulled hose off of injector and started car, no fluid(DEF) coming out, i'm guessing the pump in the tank is not working ? curious, does this DEF pump have a fuse or relay that could be failing ? getting frustrated, on the aside, i'm trying to find a good shop manual, haven't had any luck

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:46 PM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i did not get anywhere with the error code p2ba9 92 ... dropped the car off at the dealer, 1st thing he told me, it'll cost $179.99 for us to tell you what the problem is and if we can fix it .... at least they gave me a loaner, and i'm not in warrenty anymore

mhy@me.com (01-11-2022)

Quick Reply: DEF Fluid Issues