Range Rover Sport L494 (2013-present) Talk about the Land Rover Range Rover Sport within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEF Fluid Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 05:41 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andylstarr
I have a 2016 TD6 Range Rover. Love it, except for DEF. For past two years, in all cycles but one, I get DEF quality message with no-starts after 249 miles. The dealer has struggled to find root cause and do anything but top off and reset. Finally the dealer just replaced the entire tank including injectors. Hopefully that will work, but interested in other ideas?
How much did they charge? Mine here is saying $5000 installed...except there aren't any in the country! 60 miles to go before no restarts!! I.e. dead in the water

Old 02-28-2023, 09:35 AM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default been awhile since i was here

the dealer, when i had the 'death code 249mi' message a second time, called to say the catalytic convert needed to be replaced, i exploded, knowing how much they cost, he told me it was under warrenty, apparently the code stems from the 'spray pattern' or 'quality of def fluid' problem, it had to be a flash of the computer to resolve, and i had to pay for a service check, if i remember it was like $180 ... , they checked the DEF quality and spray pattern .. both were fine, , don't let them tell you the tank needs to be replaced, have them flash or update the computer(the root problem) ... if you do not get anywhere with them, reply to this post, i'll try and connect you to my dealer who helped me here in philadelphia area, they are in willow grove off the PA turnpike ... BTW, now that i think about it, the car has another 5k miles on it since the problem

Old 12-03-2023, 10:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default DEF Issues

Originally Posted by andylstarr
I have a 2016 TD6 Range Rover. Love it, except for DEF. For past two years, in all cycles but one, I get DEF quality message with no-starts after 249 miles. The dealer has struggled to find root cause and do anything but top off and reset. Finally the dealer just replaced the entire tank including injectors. Hopefully that will work, but interested in other ideas?
I read your message and I have the same issue. Went to LR dealer and still having the dreaded DEF Quality warning lite and 250 left to no start. wonder if your car ever got fixed and if so what was the root cause.

Thank you, Andre

Old 12-03-2023, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by wingding
the dealer, when i had the 'death code 249mi' message a second time, called to say the catalytic convert needed to be replaced, i exploded, knowing how much they cost, he told me it was under warrenty, apparently the code stems from the 'spray pattern' or 'quality of def fluid' problem, it had to be a flash of the computer to resolve, and i had to pay for a service check, if i remember it was like $180 ... , they checked the DEF quality and spray pattern .. both were fine, , don't let them tell you the tank needs to be replaced, have them flash or update the computer(the root problem) ... if you do not get anywhere with them, reply to this post, i'll try and connect you to my dealer who helped me here in philadelphia area, they are in willow grove off the PA turnpike ... BTW, now that i think about it, the car has another 5k miles on it since the problem
Third time now with a Quality DEF warning with 250 mile warning. They want to change the tank now but don't know if the LR dealer is just shotgunning the issue. Any info would help.

Thanks, Andee from Atlanta

Old 12-04-2023, 08:26 AM
7th Gear

my resolution was a 'reflash' of the ECM
the previous threads said to remove the spray nozzle and make sure it's clean( i did this ), it can crust over, so, easy job to do on your own ... the spray pattern, you won't figure it out ...
plz have them start there
it only cost an hour labour
but
as you'll note in the threads, it can come back unexpectedly (< 500mi) ,,, next was replacing the cat ... i flipped out over this, but, it was covered under warranty
been 25k mi, no problem ...
plz keep in touch if you've got any questions .... it's frustrating

Old 12-17-2023, 07:57 AM
2nd Gear

my resolution was a 'reflash' of the ECM
the previous threads said to remove the spray nozzle and make sure it's clean( i did this ), it can crust over, so, easy job to do on your own ... the spray pattern, you won't figure it out ...
plz have them start there
it only cost an hour labour
but
as you'll note in the threads, it can come back unexpectedly (< 500mi) ,,, next was replacing the cat ... i flipped out over this, but, it was covered under warranty
been 25k mi, no problem ...
plz keep in touch if you've got any questions .... it's frustrating

which year is your r. Mine is having the same issue after 2nd time and I don’t think I have warranty

Old 12-17-2023, 03:22 PM
7th Gear

2016 RR sport td6
i'm in the phila area
where are you
my dealer/service was great ...
yes you are outta warrenty now .. only 8 yrs... wait, depends on the build date
they changed the cat and i've not had a problem since

Land Rover Willow Grove
900 S York Rd, Willow Grove, PA 19090
(215) 443-5900
Joe Egan - helped with DEF issues

Old 12-19-2023, 06:56 AM
2nd Gear

2016 RR sport td6
i'm in the phila area
where are you
my dealer/service was great ...
yes you are outta warrenty now .. only 8 yrs... wait, depends on the build date
they changed the cat and i've not had a problem since

Land Rover Willow Grove
900 S York Rd, Willow Grove, PA 19090
(215) 443-5900
Joe Egan - helped with DEF issues
Thanks, I am from Rhode Island. Today I will call him

Old 12-19-2023, 08:28 AM
7th Gear

i don't know if i'd travel that far for a resolution, but, haven't you heard from any other members here of dealers closer to your residence that are responsible ?