Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

00-04 Custom Walnut Door Handles Handmade

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 00-04 Custom Walnut Door Handles Handmade

Hello All,
During this winter I have come up with interior wood finish pieces for my 2003 Discovery II. Including a back gate panel and handle made of walnut...with matching interior handle. After that project. I wanted to custom make some Walnut door handles. Since I have made custom modern furniture for the last 7 years off and on this seemed like a natural progression after getting the burl walnut E-Brake handle for a deal on eBay.
So my question is what would people pay? At $125 per handle or tiered pricing. $225 for front set. $425 shipped for all 4 doors. I'm not trying to get rich but still trying to make a hobby worth my labor time.

I was going to use walnut with interesting grain patterns and finish it with wipe on poly and then buff/wax it to a nice shine. Anyone interested? I will post pictures of my walnut back panel gate soon.

The only drawback to installation I have found in duplicating the factory handle is the interior door panel must be removed to remove/install the new door handles. This may be over some peoples comfort levels on installation. But I figure some of the wise among us know removing a door panel is only the beginning, for minor repairs required on the Land Rover Discovery.

Pictures of the rear gate Walnut panel.

Last edited by bosshogt; 02-27-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow those look nice. I am afraid I just throw too much crap back there to have something that nice for it all to hit. Good Luck with the venture.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
Wow those look nice. I am afraid I just throw too much crap back there to have something that nice for it all to hit. Good Luck with the venture.
Yeah me too. I will now have be careful that no sharp items hit the back gate when I'm driving crazy. I thought about making that bin that the jack handle and wheels chalks are stored out of walnut. But figured I would break it easily because my mountain bike tire touches that bin when the door is slammed closed.