Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1971 Series 2A 88 SWB / SF Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Series 2A 88 SWB / SF Bay Area

SOLD on 11/2; thanks.

Pics on craigslist as well: 1971 Land Rover Series 2A

This is in the San Francisco Bay Area, with a CA title.

I've owned this truck for about 4 months now; I bought it with the intention to restore it, but in between ended up also buying a new Jeep and putting more than I planned into another Land Rover... so, one has to go! This car is drivable but could use some work. I've listed what I know about it below.

The bad:
* There is a cracked motor mount. It's not all the way through, but it needs welding. I did get quotes anywhere from $100 to $300 to have it done.
* The engine has a tick. I haven't opened it up, so I would assume the worst and plan to rebuild it at some point.
* Wiper motor doesn't seem to work
* Many fasteners missing (e.g. the fender should have about 12 or 16 fasteners; there are only 6 in place). Easy to fix (the passenger floor fasteners are missing too, but I did purchase a kit of them - just haven't installed them)

The good:
* brand new brake drums, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes
* brand new flexible brake lines (and some fixed pipe replaced - all brake lines are now either new or in good shape)
* brand new brake master cylinder
* brand new radiator, coolant reservoir bottle
* all new coolant hoses
* all new vacuum line
* new fuel line & filter
* new plugs, fresh oil change
* oil filter converted to standard spin-on (I have the old canister-type if you want it)
* new spark plugs
* new battery

I also have new parts that I have not yet installed: clutch master & slave cylinder; fasteners for the floor pans; new spark plug wires, boots for all three levels, and I forget what else... I also have a few LR specific tools you'll need, like the slotted tool to remove the differential drain plugs.

In short, the truck runs but does need work. If you are interested in doing a restore, the frame is excellent, as are the bulkheads and most body panels. The only problem panel is the front passenger fender - it is dented and looks questionable to hammer out - would probably need a new one for a restore.

Last edited by renfield; 08-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can also email pictures on request.

Thanks