Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

1999 Land Rover Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 06:57 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Land Rover Discovery II

UPDATE: May 11 2020

Thank you all for the replies - and to everyone who has shown interest. We were lucky enough to come across someone locally and made a deal.
All the best to everyone - and take good care!

FOR SALE: 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II with a bad engine, and chassis rot. Tailgate door has some slight issues opening and closing. Buyer will need a tow vehicle to take it away. Located in Watermill NY 11937

Asking $1,200. Has CD player, great mats, owners manual, lugs nuts, every service receipt, it rains in the sun roof sometimes... but only in very heavy rain.
(We spent more money in the service department in 21 years than we did at the sales counter back in the 1900's).

-127k on the motor, with a blown engine gasket and unfortunately, the chassis frame is toast.
Surface rust starts from the rear doors to the axle, and then it's pretty much disintegrating.

The garage doesn't want to repair the gasket in good conscience - and the frame swap is a bit more than we'd like to spend on a 21 year old vehicle.
We'd like to see it get put to good use for parts, or a restoration.

Many thanks in advance for any interest. Location is currently is Watermill, New York (East End of Long Island)

Last edited by Sag Harbor Discovery; 05-11-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: found buyer
Old 05-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Please post a price in keeping with forum rules

Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Please post a price in keeping with forum rules
Aha - So sorry. Post will include that.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 855 Likes on 622 Posts

It's gorgeous. To many of us here, the engine trouble is a couple of weekends job, but the frame, while doable, is a whole 'nuther thing without a big garage and a two-post lift.

This video is interesting to watch, nonetheless.

I hate that what appears to be an otherwise good DII will go to the crusher but that's likely what will happen. Maybe Paul Grant can buy it and part it out. He's in Connecticut. That way parts of it would live on, like an organ donor. You can send Paul a private message via the forum, or contact him by email or phone at the addresses or number below. (Paul includes all his contact information in every one of his forum posts so I don't think I'm committing any privacy infraction.)

The following users liked this post:
Sag Harbor Discovery (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:23 AM
4wd High

Thank you so much for the reply - and for that video. They make it look all too easy. Unfortunately we live in an area where the garage labor is almost on par with the medical profession. We’ve gotten numbers for well over $10k just to redo the frame. One as high as $15k. There are a few places that do restorations out here, but mostly the old Defenders. They hold the highest value apparently. Still, we took great care of this car, and it seems like such a waste to let it go.

I really appreciate the lead. Sounds like it could hold some promise.
Have a great day. And keep on trucking’!

Old 05-10-2020, 11:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Take a look at this thread. I realize Sag Harbor is a long way from anywhere and a bad HG means you’ll need to get towed but the repair costs seem pretty reasonable. Maybe you should send them some pics.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...o-rusty-97743/

That is a great video by the way. Makes me we to try it just because. I did one the other way round by swapping the engine/trans and interior into another truck and I’ve always wondered if this approach would have been easier.

Last edited by ahab; 05-11-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:49 AM
4wd High

Thank you so much for pointing that thread out. It's very similar to our story with garage not wanting to inspect.

The frame rot on ours is a slightly worse though, with nothing on the bottom in one spot, and the sides are pretty far gone. Salty roads in the winter just murders these cars, and it's not as if you can break out the garden hose in the middle of January to spray them off.

...It does seem that a lot can be done even after the surface rust becomes full blown stage 4 rot though. That thing looked absolutely mint after the frame graft! ...Really appreciate the link.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM
4wd High

Thank you all for the replies - and to everyone who has shown interest. We were lucky enough to come across someone locally and made a deal.
All the best to everyone - and take good care!