Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

98 Discovery I LE; $4000 OBO; Hanover, MD

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM
akr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery I LE; $4000 OBO; Hanover, MD

Selling my 1998 Land Rover Discovery I LE, 106,154 miles for $4000, or best offer. I'd say it's in rough condition, but runs fairly well.

(Originally posted on Craigslist and edited here, so please ignore/forgive the hyperbole aimed at non-Rover folks.)

Runs fine, but with lots of stupid little things wrong with it. The passenger front door won't unlock or open (a recent development), which is the only big problem. CDL shifts fine between low and high, and it moves and clicks left to right, but I suspect it may be locked. After I got the transfer case replaced and if felt like it was grabbing the pavement when cornering, I stopped driving. It then sat in my garage for two years.

If you're interested in this truck I assume you are either:

A Land Rover mechanic
Another type of mechanic
Extreme DIY'er
Independently wealthy and bored

No one else should be trying to buy one of these in any condition for any reason, ever. I've heard good things about older Rovers (pre 90's), presumably because there are just less things to go wrong. I'm not the first owner of this thing, but I've kept it in the garage for most of the last 4 or 5 years. Went off road only once for about 20 minutes because we were trespassing, but I figured out why people love these things.

This beast qualifies for Historic registration in MD, which means no emissions, and it has far lower mileage than most D1's this age. That said, if you are not in one of those 4 groups above, you should not be making any offer on this. If I were going to have a large garage forever, I'd keep this monster, but my garage days are ending soon.

Replaced:

Alternator
Front and rear brake calipers, rotors, pads.
Master brake cylinder
Thermostat
Exhaust gaskets at head and downpipe
Catalytic converter
Muffler and tailpipe
Tranfer case (from working truck)
Rear stainless steel brake lines (not hoses, not to all the way to cylinder)
Passenger rear window regulator

Problems:
Passenger headlight only works occasionally. It's not the bulb.
Rear door doesn't lock.
Passenger front door only locks.
Headliner is disintegrating
There is some problem related to the alarm or locks that causes the ignition to fire up the engine without the key. It's happened exactly 3 times, and always right after locking it. It's never happened when the thing was left unlocked. Driver's side step is broken and hanging down a bit. Not sure how to fix it.

Non-problems:
- CDL does go into high and low, and it moves left and right but may not be actually locking/unlocking correctly.
- Both sun roofs work fine, believe it or not.
- All power windows work, but the front passenger window has started acting up.
- Rear wiper works.
- A/C blows very cold
- The ABS works fine but i pulled the fuse to bypass it just to save myself a $1500 fix.
- I have a new hood release cable I never installed that you can have, along with new mud flaps and stock radio with security code that also never installed.
- I added a Fumoto quick valve oil plug which makes changing the oil about 10,000 times easier. (I actually drilled and tapped the stock plug to put the valve in since Fumoto's aren't available in Extra Huge.)

The pics are old but I can add more and include the interior. Email me if you want pics of anything specific.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Discovery I LE; 00 OBO; Hanover, MD-98d1_1.jpg   98 Discovery I LE; 00 OBO; Hanover, MD-98d1_2.jpg   98 Discovery I LE; 00 OBO; Hanover, MD-98d1_3.jpg   98 Discovery I LE; 00 OBO; Hanover, MD-98d1_4.jpg  

Last edited by akr; 12-19-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Price change