Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Ditto!
Why's your signature say "No Parting"?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Why's your signature say "No Parting"?
Fixed. Thanks Brett

Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see people have managed to hijack this thread. its orginal purpose has been lost to those who feel they must be heard, and to defend their own hypocrisies. We get your point, no one can build a bumper to those standards. the videos are of uneducated people. I dont have to even watch much to see many problems. Your truck is not designed to go everywhere, no matter haw much crap you mount on it, having common sense and realizing that will keep you from getting stuck in the first place. Your best pull location is from the frame, or a point directly tied into the frame, that can withstand 3-5 times the weight of the vehicle. half those people where in the kill zone if that cable snapped. when you sunk in the mud, you have to dig yourself out, before you can be pulled out.

The point of this thread is that Robert is selling a service and product, if your interested let him know. he did not ask for your critisim (destructive/constructive). He can fab a bumper to your wants and likes, cost will most likely be based on how technical the build will be. If your not interested then dont post here.

You guys should start your own thread about; "how to build a better bumper then anyone else". You can include all your knowledge and experience. How your build will far exceed any other bumper built today. I imagine with all the videos you have watched and stories you have read, you knowledge must be ulimited on the subject. If you just feel like being heard, then start a thread for that. You can call it "I need to be heard"

Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well spoken thank you sir

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Camel Trophy

I don't see how addressing specific concerns or critique of bumpers he has built is thread hi-jacking. Robert, I applaude you for even taking the time to do this. Hopefully you can look back on my comments and glean some info from them.
I don't think one has to sacrifice form for function. A good builder will provide form on every bumper regardless of whether the buyer specifically asks for it. It's called taking pride in your work. Your bumper is prominently on display on the front of trucks. People will ask who made that bumper and you want them to be asking for the right reasons.
Most of the guys on this board haven't been around long enough to remember Bottorf Fabrication. Read the "Black Friday" thread on LRRF. Basically he was another "budget bumper" builder out of PA. Had a website and everything. In short his bumpers were ugly as sh*t, recovery points were questionable at best, and just all around they were shoddy. You can't give those bumpers away now. He also burned a LOT of good Rover people including myself and one of the Moderators here. So yes, I'm wary when somebody else comes along and offers "budget bumpers" to the lowest common denominator.
Remember the Driveshaft threads about 6-12 months ago. A few of us tried to ask legitimate questions about the driveshafts and almost immediately we were attacked by the minions. Where are those sheep now that people have been burned and the company was owned by three different people???????
I don't have knowledge from watching YouTube. The linked vid was just an example. My experience comes from actually hitting the trail. I know without a winch AND a front recovery point I would have been stuck on the side of a hill at a 45* angle with nothing but a sappling keeping me from tipping on Black Mountain in Kentucky. I know without two trucks having winches and ****** blocks my friends truck wouldn't have been recovered without flopping when he slid down an embankment in 3' of snow in the Northwoods of WI. I know when a D2 flopped on it's side at Badlands in Indiana we needed 3 winches to stabilize the vehicle and safely right it.
But what the hell would I know, I just crawl malls and hit dealer courses.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Ahhh Bottorf I wondered how long it would be before his slimy butt got pulled into this.

I was one of the guys that had very bad dealings with him, in the end it worked out for me thankfully.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

FishEH;

Whatever you original intentions were it has been long lost by your 15 post about why this guy builds a sh*tty bumper.
In one statement you knock the guys bumper and then say unless its a rear bumper? which it was.
I don't see anyone asking you to cretic the mans bumper 15 times, especially seeing you have and never did have any intention to buy a bumper from the man.
Then to comparing the man to Bottorf Fabrication is just a cheap shot.
Maybe We go up is correct and you should just start your on post of HOW I WOULD BUILD A BUMPER IF I COULD.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm tapping out to save my sanity. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I have spoken with Robert, he is an understanding guy and has been very reasonable with this whole thing. He is building another bumper with a hidden winch mount, hopefully to look similar to Denny at HLC's(no disrespect to Denny, he is just going through some stuff and can't make a bumper right no). If it is decently made and styled, I will have no issue purchasing it. That way we know his bumpers are truly a customer-ordered-function following form situation. Keep me updated Robert, and I'll do the same to you Brett.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'm tapping out to save my sanity. Good luck.

Quitter

Quick Reply: custom bumper building