Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

I think you missed MY point. I'm not bashing Robert as a person, I'm sure he's a very nice guy. ALL of my criticism is contructive and I speak my my to help both the fabricator and the end user. I could go buy a welder and I'm sure in not a great length of time I could become proficient enough to weld stuff cleanly. I have very little need for that at this point and even less desire to do so. Being unable to build a bumper myself does not take away from the validity of my criticism, either.
I don't care about your supposed 90% of mall crawling trail rigs, either. If you're going to build a "heavy duty" bumper then it should have GOOD recovery points at minimum. If you're building a faux "heavy duty" bumper for fashion then it should at least look good.
Using chain and bedsheets is how people get killed. People's ignorance on using a winch or strap is no excuse, either.
Again, building something that looks like a turd and saying "that's what the customer wanted, but I can do better" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. I'm not singling Robert out. I think ARB bumpers suck, too. The crush cans, the sh*tty approach angle, having to reach UNDER the bumper to flip the winch freespool switch; all bogus and sh*tty designs. And in my experience a LOT of guys start with ARB bumpers and sell them off after realizing all the negatives. Also, TJM front bumpers have no recovery points, even on their winch bumper. How the hell are you supposed to use a ****** block and run the line back to your truck with no front recovery point?!! So as you can see there are other companies out there that I have issue with and would tell people to avoid.
Good luck, Robert!

Originally Posted by We-go-up
I read these posts and I find it to be absurd, that fellow and rover owners/ members that want to be part of something only so they can tear it down. I think your missing the point o what Robert is saying. He has a talent that you do not. he can make a bumper, rock sliders, etc.. Until you your self can build something better(not buy something) maybe you should keep your negative comments to yourself. Each person has their own wants and needs, and to give them that option makes it better. I have no use for pizza size head lights hanging off a light bar, a winch is useless unless you know how to use one. most people don't, they don't have ****** blocks or pulleys in their rig either. 90% of trail trucks never see a trail, most are built for looks. If you use your truck that's great, good for you. but their is no reason to bash others because you don't like it. Chains, straps, rope, sheets. you use whatever you can to get out of a pinch. a bumper with options is a bumper that is better suited for offroad. "pretty isn't strong and chrome wont get you home."

Robert I think your doing a great job. If their where more people like you, we would have more options.

Oh and there is a really expensive bumper about 80 miles north of Las Vegas, I have no idea the name of the place cause it doesn't have one. looks like it fell off a rig and is just laying there, free for the taken.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what you are saying since you quoted me, "that's what the customer wanted, but I can do better," is that i should build more than what someone is asking for or paying for. I understand that i should build them super badass but if someone ask me for a cool 300 dollar bumper i will build them one. i cant come out of pocket and build a 800 dollar bumper to sell it for 300 bucks just because someone else does not like it.

No two bumpers i build are the same. If i was just stamping out bumpers you end up with some arb crap. i build bumpers that can hold up to impact with other cars, zombies, bodies, deer or whatever else you want to smash into.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just add some beefy recovery points with shackles...brett has a good point. Just charge 40 extra bucks as standard on a winch bumper. My first bumper had recovery points but they weren't what they should have been. Brett gave me **** for it! BUT, he was right. It doesn't cost a ton to run 3 beads around a 1/2" tab for a shackle.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:09 AM
Pro Wrench

And my hats off to anyone that breaks out a grinder, torch, welder, etc... and makes their own stuff! Your already 10 steps ahead of 90% of the crowd who freaks when you do something out of the ordinary

Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

actually what hes saying, if i read correctly is he hates everyone front bumpers. So if none of the other company's can build a bumper to his standards why would you even try.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
actually what hes saying, if i read correctly is he hates everyone front bumpers. So if none of the other company's can build a bumper to his standards why would you even try.
Nope, you misread. Every point I've brought up about bumpers; whether it be Robert's, ARB, or TJM; are completely legitimate. The style of the bumper is obviously open to interpretation but I don't think anyone would say slapping a piece of C-channel on the front looks good. The other points I made are serious and a few companies have addressed them such as RTE, HLC, RockStar, HiCountry, and other custom fab designs.
Bottom line is if I roll up to a stuck truck and they don't have legit recovery points then they're staying stuck because it's not worth a shackle going through my skull to test their "bargain bumper".

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by fishEH
Bottom line is if I roll up to a stuck truck and they don't have legit recovery points then they're staying stuck because it's not worth a shackle going through my skull to test their "bargain bumper".
Ditto!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Pro Wrench

Or you could get real redneck and and just strap up to their axle!

Last edited by CUpgt; 10-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

axles nevar move! haha

Old 10-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

wow. just wow. I bet, at least, one of those dudes is referred to as "uncledad".

(referencing the hillbillies in the video not the ones on the forum )

Last edited by dusty1; 10-01-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: lest I offend

Quick Reply: custom bumper building