Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats not a problem at all. just going to be a bit wider and that means its going to be a bit heavier. whatever you want i can build!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

good looking work. do you have a photo from the side/profile?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Mudding

heres a side profile pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Three Wheeling

i like it, how hard would it be to bring the edges in toward the headlights, so that it stays the same width from center of grill to edge of fenders. I can draw something up if needed. Im looking for something very low profile. something stronger then the stock bumper, but nothing massive like most that are out there.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RTE slimline

Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by CUpgt
RTE slimline
Yes.
I suggest the OP take a look at the offerings from RTE, Tactical Rovers, and Hard Labor Creek. Clean up your designs some. You're building bumpers for Land Rovers not Jeep Cherokees after all. ;-)

Old 08-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Mudding

if you guys send me a drawing of what you are looking for i can build it. I built mine the way it is because that's how i wanted it. I can build whatever. Sure you can get one from RTE or tactical rovers but its also gonna cost over at least 900 plus shipping. I can build from scrap metal at work so your not going to have that overhead cost and i do this not because im trying to get rich but i enjoy working with metal. Trying to give some guys some options instead of having to dish out that 900 plus bill.

if you even send me a bumper that tactical rovers or whomever has that you want i can do a close copy

thanks guys!!!!! put me to work!!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by robertmirwin
if you guys send me a drawing of what you are looking for i can build it. I built mine the way it is because that's how i wanted it. I can build whatever. Sure you can get one from RTE or tactical rovers but its also gonna cost over at least 900 plus shipping. I can build from scrap metal at work so your not going to have that overhead cost and i do this not because im trying to get rich but i enjoy working with metal. Trying to give some guys some options instead of having to dish out that 900 plus bill.

if you even send me a bumper that tactical rovers or whomever has that you want i can do a close copy

thanks guys!!!!! put me to work!!!!!
this I applaud you for. I will put something together on paper and use your skills, I would rather pay someone who enjoys it, then a company that sells it for an over priced amount. most bumpers made today are not worth what they sell them for.can you fine tune the dimensions? i can send a rough drawing.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Mudding

First off, my front rear and rock rails came from Hard Labor Creek Fab. Denny is a small shop that does this for a living because he loves it also. Do not include him in other manufactures over priced products, as you call it. Denny has a lifetime warranty on his work and I can bet you that his bumpers can withstand more punishment than almost anything out there. I personally have put them thru Hell and Back. It is not just the look and thickness that counts on a bumper. Besides the shape and look there is also things to consider like what type of weld was used, where are the weld positions, upon and impact how is it distributed thru the bumper and the engineering that goes into this is not just a quick process. Can a home built bumper still utilize airbags, I think not.

I am all for do it yourselfers, since I have done a lot myself and if I could weld would probably tried to build myself one and I commend you on your work. I am not degrading your work and to be honest it seems as if you have a very good talent.

I just do not agree with comparing two items if they are not of same quality/design.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by We-go-up
this I applaud you for. I will put something together on paper and use your skills, I would rather pay someone who enjoys it, then a company that sells it for an over priced amount. most bumpers made today are not worth what they sell them for.can you fine tune the dimensions? i can send a rough drawing.
That's funny because EVERY SINGLE Rover bumper made today(with the exception of TerraFirma maybe) is from a small company. I would guess not one of them has more than 10 employees, and that's probably even too high.
Yes, some of the bumpers are pricey but you have to look at what you're getting. The build quality is VERY good. Laser cut parts, HD recovery points, extremely stout, winch mount, and they fit very well. All that comes at a price. The only company that that sold "discount bumpers" was Bottorf. You can Google that and read all about that disaster.

The fact is the Rover market is small and the demand just isn't there for these companies to be able to mass produce them and keep the cost down.

Everybody wants a deal and I'm no different. But to say these "big"(actually quite small) companies are overpricing their bumpers simply isn't accurate or fair. The fact is a person, whether it's Robertmirwin or Bill @RTE, can't charge $300 for a bumper and keep their doors open as a full time business.

Robertmirwin, I know you said you can custom build anything but here's some things I notice.
-the top of the bumper should sit flush or very close to it with the bottom of the trim. There's no reason for it not to and it makes the bumper look 1000 times better.
-most Rover guys aren't fans of the steeply raked stinger bar
-most guys will want recovery points AND a winch mount, not one or the other

Good luck and please know my criticism is meant to be constructive.

Last edited by fishEH; 09-18-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: custom bumper building