Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sweet looking bumper

Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Mudding

i started another one yesterday. its for another forum member. like a tactical rover bumper minus the brush guard. i will post a few pics of that project later today.

thanks for the positive input guys

Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

What was the pricetag on this, if you don't mind me asking?
I stand by Post #20.
Here's my constructive criticism FWIW.
- Pre-runner bar is too raked
- No light mounts, either on the bumper or tabs on the pre-runner bar
- No winch mount
- No built in recovery points
- Hitch receiver, not sure what the point is. Could have recessed it to sit flush with the face of the bumper and had pin acces from the back, thereby helping with approach angle.
- For what it is, its huge. A simple bumper with no winch mount, no recovery points, no light tabs could be kept quite small.
- Edges/corners are quite angular. Yes the Disco is big, but it still has some sexy lines. This bumper does not compliment the Disco. This boxiness of this bumper makes it look like it should be on a boxy vehicle, like a Jeep Cherokee.
On the other hand, here is a bumper made for a Jeep Cherokee that has been VERY slightly modified to fit my friends D1.
Name:  P1370082.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  303.6 KB

Just my $.02
Happy building.

Originally Posted by robertmirwin
Here is a bumper i put on yesterday from a forum member. a few build shots then finished product. I believe he is going to have it rhino lined so finish was not to important. anyway take a look[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by fishEH; 09-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Mudding

fishEH i built the bumper in my avatar pic in about 2 1/2 hrs. its simple and its how i wanted it and it was a test go. As far as what i have built in the above pics, its what rchrd0413 wanted. i build what is asked of me not just what i want to. reason behind no recovery points or winch mount is because the receiver can do both jobs and again it is what was asked of me. Some guys like the rake on bull bars. Its just a preference thing. i built that bumper for $300. Its built out of 6" c channel and 4" flat metal. this thing is way stronger than anything you can buy for 1200+. I started another one today that is a whole new design. I will post some pics tomorrow when i get some more pieces tacked on. Looks like a tactical rover design minus the bull bars

Old 09-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this thing is way stronger than anything you can buy for 1200+.
Not trying to talk bad about your work but a brand new RTE slimline is 800, 1100 with a full brush guard. I applaud you for your work but I would put the strength of my old school Rovertym bumper up against damn near anything. It's all 1/4", has 2 SOLID recovery points, a which mount (makes a good place to set your beer), and full brush bar with headlight guards. I had a custom built bumper I payed $300 for and loved but the Rovertym was too nice and solid to pass up. Plus I doubt you could construct a bumper with those lines and brush guard for $300 in a couple hours.
Name:  photobucket-60735-1376869969127_zps01cada38.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  63.2 KB
This is my first bumper a buddy built. I really liked it, but the Rovertym came on a parts truck and was a freebie! Couldn't pass it up.
Name:  photobucket-30582-1362171520176_zps4469468d.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  99.3 KB

Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Mudding

your absolutly right about one thing. i cant build that bumper in a 3 hours. again guys im doing this because i enjoy it and not everyone can buy that 1200+ bumper they want.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Drifting

fishEH i built the bumper in my avatar pic in about 2 1/2 hrs. its simple and its how i wanted it and it was a test go. As far as what i have built in the above pics, its what rchrd0413 wanted. i build what is asked of me not just what i want to. reason behind no recovery points or winch mount is because the receiver can do both jobs and again it is what was asked of me. Some guys like the rake on bull bars. Its just a preference thing. i built that bumper for $300. Its built out of 6" c channel and 4" flat metal. this thing is way stronger than anything you can buy for 1200+. I started another one today that is a whole new design. I will post some pics tomorrow when i get some more pieces tacked on. Looks like a tactical rover design minus the bull bars
Get fisheh, don't make fun of my bumper and stop hatin. I love my bumper. It was exactly what I asked for and it's freaking awesome. I'd be pissed to if I spent a grand on a bumper made out of aluminum foil. Oops...I fell Into the forum drama trap. The bottom line is this man is talented and honest. i really enjoyed doing buisiness with him. He embodies the spirit of this forum.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't think anyone makes bumpers out of aluminum foil.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by rchrd0413
Get fisheh, don't make fun of my bumper and stop hatin. I love my bumper. It was exactly what I asked for and it's freaking awesome. I'd be pissed to if I spent a grand on a bumper made out of aluminum foil. Oops...I fell Into the forum drama trap. The bottom line is this man is talented and honest. i really enjoyed doing buisiness with him. He embodies the spirit of this forum.
I applaude his efforts, just don't like the style. And my previous statements stand. I don't understand the point of installing an aftermarket bumper with no recovery points.
Guess I'll just stick with my aluminum foil bumper.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I don't think anyone makes bumpers out of aluminum foil.
how dare you................ i got pretty inebriated one night and did a complete bumper mock up outta foil tape and cardboard. I drove with the thing for 2 days.... never fell apart.

Quick Reply: custom bumper building