Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

custom bumper building

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=robertmirwin;425019][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

What the heck are you using to make your notches? a sawsall and a rubber measuring tape?? And are you building bumpers for money and welding them with flux core? tisk tisk.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by robertmirwin
[IMG][/IMG]

not a land rover but here is a bronco cage i did a few weeks ago to give you guys more of a feel. I can do more than bumpers!

THats a nice cage Robert! Looks just like the one the guy that owns that bronco built for it! You could have at least edited the washington liscense plate out of the pirated picture before claiming it as your own work!

for anybody curious, take a look at the the notching done on Roberts bumper, and then look at the work done by the guy who built the cage shown!

I dont know you, but I know your kind. you are a lowlife. your scab crap is aweful, youll only sell to those who dont know what good work looks like. the one good project you supposedly did, you pirated off the internet. shame on you.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Three Wheeling

If theres still any doubt as to whats what, this is the fellow who built and owns the bronco shown.

Congrats to Meixter for winning March. 2009 FOTM!!! - FSB Forums

He built that cage in 09.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,554 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Other than the splatter, what's wrong with fluxcore?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guys i did in fact own a 89 ford bronco. secondly i did do a cage in the back of it. lastly i thought i had clicked on the right picture of the cage i did seeing as i was trying to find the picture of it via google. sorry for the mix up.

love me, hate me or whatever.

And about the pics of my tube bumper. wtf that is a picture of when i just got it tacked together things have changed a little on it. And about flux core, no i do not use flux core for the most part. I use a 220v miller mig with C02 argon mix. If i am working from home with my 110V i will use flux core with gas because you can get better penetration out of a smaller machine.

Sorry for the confusion and here is a pic of the bronco i had pre lift and what not just so yall know i did in fact have a bronco.

[IMG][/IMG]

And jesus yall if there is a question about my work ask someone who has gotten a bumper or something from me.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Other than the splatter, what's wrong with fluxcore?
Its amateur. messy, dirty welds, requiring lots of cleanup time, which I doubt he does. In a clean shop with clean steel, (controlled environment) there is no reason to booger things together.

this guy is a hack, and clearly a liar. It takes more than a harbor freight wire feed and a grinder to build a bumper. anyone can booger weld some steel together and have it hold together under day to day use.

Id wager anyone of you guys posting in this forum have the skill to build the "bumpers" he is trying to sell you.

Even with zero experience, an hr or two getting familiar with a mig gun and a cutoff wheel would product the skill required to build what he shows here.

THis is a serious safety issue, others here have said it but were heckled out. If he is gap welding as bad as is shown in the last bumper (which he clearly is), then you would be a fool to pull trust his welds with a winch or recovery points. Poorly welded bumpers rip off trucks all the time. you think snapping a strap sucks? how about his "1/2" steel bumper hurtling through the air?

Which brings up another great point. WHy are you building bumpers out of 1/2" steel? That isnt macho overkill, that is idiocy. There are zero gains to be had with 1/2" steel. Building like that is lazy, and clearly shows your lack of ability.

Dont tell me "thats what the customer wanted". The fact is you cant build anything nicer with the tools and skill you have.

Why dont you tell us a little bit about the tools you have? what size and type of welder do you have? to get any kind of penetration on 1/2" steel, it takes a monster machine. Speaking of penetration, lets lets see some cross sections of your welds.

I think its only fair if he expects you all to put your vehicle and personal safety in his hands, that you should see some proof that he even knows what hes doing. Using the line "well they havent fallen off yet" aint gonna cut it bucko.

Of course, at this point he will probably just pirate some photos off the internet of "his" equipment and cross welds and claim it as his own, and no one here will be the wiser.

SO before I get flamed for being so disparaging, If he was just showing us a bumper he built for himself, Id hold my tongue and let him cobble up his own stuff in peace.

The fact that he is offering to build parts for others, with the methods and skill shown, tells me he is has no regard of your safety, and is simply overzealous to sell "product".

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by expeditionnw
Its amateur. messy, dirty welds, requiring lots of cleanup time, which I doubt he does. In a clean shop with clean steel, (controlled environment) there is no reason to booger things together.

this guy is a hack, and clearly a liar. It takes more than a harbor freight wire feed and a grinder to build a bumper. anyone can booger weld some steel together and have it hold together under day to day use.

Id wager anyone of you guys posting in this forum have the skill to build the "bumpers" he is trying to sell you.

Even with zero experience, an hr or two getting familiar with a mig gun and a cutoff wheel would product the skill required to build what he shows here.

THis is a serious safety issue, others here have said it but were heckled out. If he is gap welding as bad as is shown in the last bumper (which he clearly is), then you would be a fool to pull trust his welds with a winch or recovery points. Poorly welded bumpers rip off trucks all the time. you think snapping a strap sucks? how about his "1/2" steel bumper hurtling through the air?

Which brings up another great point. WHy are you building bumpers out of 1/2" steel? That isnt macho overkill, that is idiocy. There are zero gains to be had with 1/2" steel. Building like that is lazy, and clearly shows your lack of ability.

Dont tell me "thats what the customer wanted". The fact is you cant build anything nicer with the tools and skill you have.

Why dont you tell us a little bit about the tools you have? what size and type of welder do you have? to get any kind of penetration on 1/2" steel, it takes a monster machine. Speaking of penetration, lets lets see some cross sections of your welds.

I think its only fair if he expects you all to put your vehicle and personal safety in his hands, that you should see some proof that he even knows what hes doing. Using the line "well they havent fallen off yet" aint gonna cut it bucko.

Of course, at this point he will probably just pirate some photos off the internet of "his" equipment and cross welds and claim it as his own, and no one here will be the wiser.

SO before I get flamed for being so disparaging, If he was just showing us a bumper he built for himself, Id hold my tongue and let him cobble up his own stuff in peace.

The fact that he is offering to build parts for others, with the methods and skill shown, tells me he is has no regard of your safety, and is simply overzealous to sell "product".
Yeah your definitely a tool.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Three Wheeling

sorry guys i did in fact own a 89 ford bronco. secondly i did do a cage in the back of it. lastly i thought i had clicked on the right picture of the cage i did seeing as i was trying to find the picture of it via google. sorry for the mix up.
Why would you look on Google for a project YOU did two weeks ago?? lets see the cage you did in yours, shouldnt be hard to get us a picture, considering its only two weeks ago. Let me guess, you sold it and lost the pics of the cage?

And about the pics of my tube bumper. wtf that is a picture of when i just got it tacked together things have changed a little on it.

Yeah, like the gaps have been all booger gap welded in.

Sorry for the confusion and here is a pic of the bronco i had pre lift and what not just so yall know i did in fact have a bronco.

[IMG][/IMG]

Robert, face it. you just got caught in a lie. The thing to do would be to man up to it and save a little face.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some pics of my $300 bumper done by a local fabricator...wish I could claim the welds as mine! I still wouldn't have mounted a winch without extra mounting reinforcement.
Name:  bumer1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  95.6 KBName:  roverbumper.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  99.3 KB
Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  111.5 KB

Quick Reply: custom bumper building