Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Does your Land Rover Discovery 2 shifter & parking brake boots look awful??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you like them! I do also sell these on eBay, but prefer to sell directly as to avoid the eBay fees. Mine are listed at $15.99 on ebay, but the additional is made up with a higher shipping charge. It ends up being pretty much the same price either way.. Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love a dependable, honest vendor. Too bad I have a D1. Happy selling!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Just curious, I'll be in the ATL next Wednesday, any chance of picking a set of these up to avoid the shipping?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Overlanding
Default Dear Rover Curious,

Yes, I'll be happy to meet up with you if we're in the same area of Atlanta next Wed.. Please call me (Garrett) at 706-461-4756 or email me at jgschmitt99@gmail.com and we'll see if we can meet up. Otherwise, I'll be happy to put a set in the mail for you! Just let me know...

Originally Posted by Rover Curious
Just curious, I'll be in the ATL next Wednesday, any chance of picking a set of these up to avoid the shipping?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Overlanding
Default These boots fit Disco Series 1 trucks as well!!!

These boots fit Disco Series 1 trucks as well!!!

Originally Posted by honda50r
I love a dependable, honest vendor. Too bad I have a D1. Happy selling!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Drifting

These are pretty good, and the price is great.

I sent an email to order them on Tuesday, received a reply back and a Paypal invoice shortly thereafter. Sent the payment same day. I didn't check my mailbox until Friday, and they were here already.

Took me about an hour to put them on, mostly because super glue is a pain in the butt (at least for me - I'm clumsy!). Next time, I'll use paper clips or something similar to hold the edges down for the 5 minutes it takes to dry. Also, I'd say that using a thin bead of glue is much better than big drops that get squeezed everywhere!

The hardest part is making sure you figure out the correct orientation of the new boot on the e-brake around the frame, and to look at how far to fold the edges over. It's actually easy if you take your time, but take a picture before you take the e-brake book off the frame, and keep all of the pieces in the same orientation for reference when re-assembling. The transfer case lever is easy - line up the seams to the old seams for the orientation, and just fold the 4 edges over the old frame.

Really, I'm not very handy and this was pretty easy.

The replacement boots were clean, cut well, and at least as good if not thicker material than the originals out of my '03 Disco.

I'm pretty happy with these.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Got mine today, and got them on the mounting rings, and got the e-brake cover re-installed. Cool deal, nice repair/upgrade!

The only suggestion I would have is, that although super glue is readily available to most people, it is a challenge on porous materials like fabric. A glue that you may be able to clean off should you get it anywhere you do not want it would be nice. That was not a real issues on the Hi-Lo boot as it was being glued to a solid plastic frame surface, but on the e-brake boot when you are wrapping the boot material around the wire frame and gluing fabric to fabric is was a bit challenging to hold it in place and not get glue on me or the boot fabric while waiting for the two pieces to bond. I seem to always get it everywhere when I get a little bit on my fingers. I am not sure what would work better, but my boots still look good, and I will just turn the side that has a few super glue spots on the Hi-Lo shifter in the direction it is least noticeable. I used the big paper binder clips to hold things in place while the glue dried. They worked well.

As the instructions note, this is a good time to clean here. I went ahead and pulled the transmission shift indicator up and pulled the mat out that had all kinds of crude in the little grooves, as well as taking the cup holders off the center console and cleaning them up. All back together now, and looks so much nicer. A little Black Magic on the mat and all the black plastic, and the center console looks almost new. Better than it has ever looked since I owned my D2!

Thanks Garret !!

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 08-30-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Mudding

@Rover_Hokie
How did you get the shift indicator up? I bought my D2 a couple weeks ago, and this thing is filthy all around the edges of the mat.
I ordered boot replacements from Garrett, got them in the mail last night, but I didn't have super glue when I went to install so I need to go pick some up.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Mudding

I saw somewhere else to have the shifter in neutral and to push on the shifter button to release. I will do this when I get home.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Mudding

I did my parking brake last night. Started with liquid super glue, which is difficult on fabric. Then realized that a hot glue gun would be perfect for the inside of the vinyl's fabric. I messed up one side, so I ripped it apart and reapplied (which can't happen with super glue). Also, hot glue will not crack with heat like super glue can.
Garrett, the directions were great, but the photos were a bit small so maybe a PDF with full size shots would help if emailed after the purchase. I didn't know what the locking mechanism of the diff lock shifter boot looked like, and was concerned I was going to break off a clip or something.
Great product, likely to do the diff lock shifter tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Does your Land Rover Discovery 2 shifter & parking brake boots look awful??-photo-mar-29-8-02-18-am.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does your Land Rover Discovery 2 shifter & parking brake boots look awful??