ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Before and After

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 01:43 PM
|
Team Owner
Default Before and After

In typical DI fashion my auto dimming rear view mirror went bad.
The seal breaks and all the fluid leaks out and settles in the bottom of the mirror.
Turns out this is common with all Magna Donally mirrors.
But here is the fix.
I bought a Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and temp off of Craigs list for $100 brand new.
I installed it myself (kinda) and I love it.

Before...
Name:  DSC04640.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  101.2 KB

After...
Name:  DSC04892.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  65.3 KB

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:46 PM
Administrator

My mirror has the same leakage signs as your did. Did you have to do any special wiring to activate the compass and outside temp readings?

Old 11-08-2009 | 06:08 PM
|
Team Owner

With the Gentex mirror the compass unit is inside the mirror itself, so no special wiring needed there, the temp sensor wire runs under the headliner and down the drivers "A" pillar.
I popped off the pillar and ran the wire down behind it.
Then I routed it through the drivers door jamb and into the fresh air cowel, down the inside of the fender using the inclosed zip ties to hold it in place and then ran the temp sensor down next to the radiator and dumped it out behind the left side of the grill away from any engine/power steering pump heat as well as the trans and engine oil cooler lines.
You cannot see the wire with the hood closed and the drivers door closed.
I got my power supply from the factory mirror harness, it was a 3 wire harness, hot, ground and neutral.
All you need is the hot and ground.
Once it was installed I set my compass zone and then drove half of a tight circle to calibrate the compass.
You can turn the temp/compass off, the whole mirror off or leave it on.
The numbers on the mirror automatically dim when it is dark, so when driving at night the compass and temp wont blind you.

The only down side of this mirror is that it has a "wedge" or GM style window mount.
So you will need to remove your old mount and install the correct one, not a huge deal but I recommend having that done by a pro, thats what I did.
The Gentex factory is local so I went there and asked for help, in 20 min I had the correct mirror mount and was ready to run the wiring.
They have a test lab where they install their products onto customer cars to test them out and get feed back.
It is a very high quality mirror and I am very pleased with it, it has been in the truck for a week now.
Almost forgot, if the temp drops below 36*F it will flash "ICE" in the temp display to warn you of potential freezing roads.
You can also set it to "C" for you Canadian people.

Old 11-08-2009 | 06:29 PM

sweet!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-08-2009 | 06:31 PM
TReK

Nice. I'm wanting one of those for my Ford since I don't have an outside temp display. My Dodge had the temp display in the overhead console and I didn't realize how nice it was until I didn't have it anymore. I'll get one for my nest Rover also.

Old 11-08-2009 | 07:21 PM
|
Team Owner

The temp was all I wanted but they dont sell them that way, you can get auto dimming, compass, compass/temp, compass/temp/map lights...and they just keep going all the way up to On-Star.
So if a guy wanted you could add a On-Star unit installed into your Rover.

Old 11-08-2009 | 09:18 PM
TReK

On-star costs money for next to nothing so why bother. I always get annoyed that GM sells their cars with 1 year of On-star service including the crash monitoring. The rest of the service who cares about but the crash monitoring should be for the life of the vehicle with a one-time at purchase of the vehicle. The number of lives that would save, especially here in Alaska where car accidents can go unnoticed for hours, would be huge. I'll quit ranting now.

The compass/temp/map lights would be cool.

Old 11-09-2009 | 07:12 AM
|
Team Owner

On-Star is a HUGE rip off, and most people do not know this, but if you dont make your car payment, they shut off your fuel pump.
They dont even give you a grace period, your payment is due on the 15th, 12:01am on the 16th and your car wont start.
And then it takes 2 BUSINESS days for the payment to get processed and your car turned back on.
SO if this happens on a Friday night, youi cant drive your car until sometime next week.

Now if a person were smart and knew what they were doing they could unhook the On-Star, the control unit is in the trunk so you could unplug it.

A friend of my wife's bought a used Malibu, they dont even pay for the On-Star, they were late on their payment, even after I told them about this "feature", their car was shut off, and it's their only car, he missed 2 days of work and they had to keep their daughter home from school.
Yes they should have made the payment but come on, all it takes is a couple of key strokes on the computer and they can turn it back on.

But the funny one is that my ex-wife is leasing a '07 G6, in the first 6 months she had her car turned off by On-Star because she didnt make a payment.

Old 11-09-2009 | 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555

But the funny one is that my ex-wife is leasing a '07 G6, in the first 6 months she had her car turned off by On-Star because she didnt make a payment.

HAHHAHHAHAHAHHA,,,,..... ex wives... F em.

Old 11-09-2009 | 12:49 PM
|
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
HAHHAHHAHAHAHHA,,,,..... ex wives... F em.
X1,000.
My favorite "oops" that she did was blow up the engine in the Mazda MPV that she got in the divorce.
She never once changed the oil, or checked it, gas and go....$3,000 for a used engine with labor.
I laughed so hard.

Quick Reply: Before and After