ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Bragging Rights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by antichrist
I bought [...........]
Did I mention it also had no brakes? Sometimes when backing up the hill it slid on the ice in to the ditch, so I had put it in 4th, let out the clutch, get out and push and jump in once it it got moving. One such attempt resulted in me slipping on the ice just as I jumped for the drivers seat, smashing my face in to the roof and breaking my glasses which cut my face right above my eye.

I still have that Rover.
It still has no brakes.
That reminds me of one of the beauties of the simplicity of the old rovers: I was on a vacation trip and run out of brakes, the master pump. So I just switched the lines to the clutch pump. Driving without clutch was not an issue. It took a few miles to get used to it, but made it home safely.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i learned on a 1985 honda civic hatchback it was a 5spd with the floor boards rusted out. i was 13 and my dad took me upstate to go fire some guns off. he told me "today you are going to learn how to drink a beer, shoot a gun and drive a car" I took a sip of a Bud and spit it out all over (still don't drink beer to this day), i fired his .22, and i drove the civic around the farm for about 30 mins. it was an awesome day.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i learned on a 1985 honda civic hatchback it was a 5spd with the floor boards rusted out. i was 13 and my dad took me upstate to go fire some guns off. he told me "today you are going to learn how to drink a beer, shoot a gun and drive a car" I took a sip of a Bud and spit it out all over (still don't drink beer to this day), i fired his .22, and i drove the civic around the farm for about 30 mins. it was an awesome day.
That's a nice memory.
I did not have any time "behind the wheel" before I drove the first time. My dad was a great guy, the best driver and best teacher. Since I remember he was driving and talking to me about how to do things and why. One day we were at the beach, I was 12, my mom had gone for a walk and dad simply said, she's coming back, go give her a ride. I just got on and drove, surprisingly, my mom did not think anything of it either, just got in the car and said, thanks. Memorable day.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my first car was a 72 AMC Gremlin X... still have it... and still havent figured out how take off without burning out, or drive it around without picking a race.

...there is just something special about beating a Z06 in ur gremlin

Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My first was waiting for my older brother to get out of school. He was 16, I was 14. The kids car was a 1977 Plymouth 1 ton 15 passender Van. The ignition key was stuck in the ignition and the back windows were busted out courtesy of my older sister backing into a tree. The pax door would barely open, again courtesy of my older sister driving the van into the house. While I was waiting for my brother, I'd drive the van around the block until he came out the doors. Good thing I never got pulled over. I took my drivers test in that same van 2 years later, cause it was the only one street legal at the time. Instructor said I didn't have to prove my parellel parking skills.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I bought my first Land Rover in 1974, it was a '62 Petrol 88 Regular with no second gear. But I already knew how to drive.
However one winter, around 77 or so the shift lever broke off and I could only get 4th and reverse by sticking a screw driver down through the hole. So I had to back up the hill on the road to our house.
Did I mention it also had no brakes? Sometimes when backing up the hill it slid on the ice in to the ditch, so I had put it in 4th, let out the clutch, get out and push and jump in once it it got moving. One such attempt resulted in me slipping on the ice just as I jumped for the drivers seat, smashing my face in to the roof and breaking my glasses which cut my face right above my eye.

I still have that Rover.
It still has no brakes.
haha my favorite was on a rainy day, "If you hydroplane, you WILL die. I can't even count how many people I know that died from hydroplaning" And this guy had an extreme southern accent. Half the time I was driving I was trying not to laugh because he was so dang serious about every story he told even though I'm pretty sure most were BS.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obama64
haha my favorite was on a rainy day, "If you hydroplane, you WILL die. I can't even count how many people I know that died from hydroplaning" And this guy had an extreme southern accent. Half the time I was driving I was trying not to laugh because he was so dang serious about every story he told even though I'm pretty sure most were BS.
Obama is a Land Rover enthusiast and sells iPhone book readers? Learn something new every day....

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 01-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Obama is a Land Rover enthusiast and sells iPhone book readers? Learn something new every day....
That guy literally stole the words right out of my mouth haha.
I dont understand spammers sometimes....

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Dieing in a LR diesel

Originally Posted by obama64
Hydroplaning in a Land Rover
That reminds me of a friend who told me that the only way I could kill myself on my Land Rover Diesel 1970 was to hug the steering wheel and stub myself with a knife through my hart, LOL That thing top speed was 50 mph downhill. At 51mph it would start shacking like a dog with distemper.