ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Epic trip... ideas, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill prepared... Well I know that I'm not the most mechanicly inclined person in the world, but for a bunch of girls I think were doing pretty good :P Really though, that's why I'm here speaking with you guys... and just as I expected you all are helping to keep us from becoming stranded on the roadside somewhere; I've been there before, and i don't want to go there again. So thank you Mr. Fisheh for your advice as I did not know that a regular old scanner would work on a LR. I was always led to believe that they had to be made specifically for the make of vehicle that you are using them on. I suppose instead of just having Autozone read my fault codes, i will buy a scanner and have them teach me how to use it

I am in northern KY, and our trip should take us from here to Denver, then Yellow Stone, then cross the backside of the Sierra Nevadas to Yosemite. From there we want to hook out to the coast for a bit of beach camping back inland to Sequoia National Park, then back up the bottom side of the 15 and to Moab, UT for a look at Arches National Park. then accept for the hop across the Rockies along the 70 that will conclude our trip... well accept for the 1000 miles we got to go to get back to KY. lol

I know it's a big trip, and yah i am starting to get a little scared, but I think I would be stupid not to get a little scared... Don't you?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 AM
4wd High

WOW I like this list! I knew that I should have come to talk to you guys sooner, but alas I just don't think I have the time or money to do all the things that are on there.

And now I know what you meant by... ill prepared...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Have a great time on your trip! It doesn't sound like you intend on doing too much offroading so you shouldn't need to worry about breaking too much.
Pay attention to your front driveshaft. It may be original still. The original ones weren't greasable and the ujoints are known to go at any moment which could take out your transmission. So, pay attention to noises up front, especially a "chirping" sound.
Here's a few things I would do:
1) Download the RAVE manual and load it on a laptop, tablet, iPhone, whatever so you have it with you.
2) Join the Birmabright Brotherhood(free). Birmabright Brotherhood - Rover Broke? Call a Bloke!
If you should happen to break down somewhere you can contact one of the people on the list in the area you're in and maybe get some help. If nothing else, post up here for help.
3) Buy a scanner. Or buy the UltraGauge. It will monitor your engine temp(critical) and also read and clear codes.
4) Take pics and post them when you get back.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As Mr. fishEH said, prioritize making sure your cooling system is working properly, and the front drive shaft is serviceable.Those things are basically the achilles heel of the D2.

The factory temperature gauge is very misleading and tends to not indicate any overheating problem until its too late. Which is why a scanner that can display real time data is so important.

Sounds like you've got a fun trip planned! Hope all goes well

Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM
4wd High

Okay, so I've read my codes, and it says that it's running lean and it's switched to running rich. It also said that there is an emissions pump that is stuck on purge. I have changed the upper intake manifold gasket, and found that the bolts for the lower intake manifold were lose. I tightened them up and put things back together, and though it got quieter, it was still there. I ordered the lower gasket with the ends, and it just came in today. After I replace it I will clear the codes and run it again.

I had mentioned breaking an axle earlier... Yah, stupid front drive axle! But hey... at least I can cross that one off the list. :P It's funny that you guys mention the cooling system. As I was off to pick up the manifold gasket I had a temperature spike. It didn't over heat but it did go abnormally high for it.

Ugg... If it happened just because I foolishly let the coolant level slip, then I still got to ask: Where the hell did it go? -_-

The Disco doesn't smoke, or put out any kind of color/vapor, and the engine runs strong. I guess I can check the compression, and get that pressure check done. I did buy a can of that K&W Block Seal as kind of an impulse buy, but perhaps it was a good idea after all. IDK what is your guys opinion of this stuff?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy

What were the code number(s), and the specific description?
Also, you may want to start a thread in the Discovery II section. You'll get better answers from guys that know what they're talking about instead of jokers like me that own D1's.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Most stop leak products can do more harm than good in these cooling systems, I would try to stay away from them.

Getting the system pressure tested is about the best way to check for external leaks, especially if they are not very obvious. Since you mentioned the lower manifold bolts were loose, maybe the gasket has also failed, leaking coolant. But a pressure test and/or good visual inspection is the only way to know for sure.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Try to resolve / diagnose cooling problem before block seal is tried as last hope.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

your welcome

Quick Reply: Epic trip... ideas, advice?