ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Is this a good CB Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
I would recommend if you want to go with a Cobra 19 go with the newest generation which is the DX IV.
I just won it and I'm pretty sure it is the DX IV, at least thats whats pictured. Tomorrow im gonna scan ebay for an antenna and if I cant find something like you all mentioned i'll go check the local truck stop. Thanks again for all the input!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Camdisco, check these parts I got from Radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102428

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062089

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062088

I had this installed like 15 mins, by far the easiest mod I've done thus far.

This set up would be like Street Wolf's , I also did a black paint job to cover the chrome.

Its midnight now but I can include some pictures tomorrow.

Its funny how the 102' whip hits the trees along the residential streets.

I am also planning on getting a CB radio but having the antenna mounted on the rear bumper is a harder job wiring the system.

Well see.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:31 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You can never go wrong with a 102" whip. I have been running that antenna set up for years and never had a problem. I did get talked to by the police once for hitting stop lights when I had my 102" antenna mounted on the roof of my lifted GMC but no other problems.

Make sure when you install your radio and antenna you put an SWR meter on it and get your antenna tuned properly to the radio. If your SWR is too high you'll burn up the transmitter in your radio. Firestik II antennas have a screw at the top to allow you to tune the antenna to the radio. The 102" whip the only way to tune it is too cut off the end a little at a time. If you cut too much you replace the antenna and start all over.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AK Rover
You can never go wrong with a 102" whip. I have been running that antenna set up for years and never had a problem. I did get talked to by the police once for hitting stop lights when I had my 102" antenna mounted on the roof of my lifted GMC but no other problems.

Make sure when you install your radio and antenna you put an SWR meter on it and get your antenna tuned properly to the radio. If your SWR is too high you'll burn up the transmitter in your radio. Firestik II antennas have a screw at the top to allow you to tune the antenna to the radio. The 102" whip the only way to tune it is too cut off the end a little at a time. If you cut too much you replace the antenna and start all over.
Wow, 102" on top of the roof. I wouldn't be able to go under a viaduct or tunnel. Yeah before, I had the 102, I had the firestik. The tunable tip is very convenient. I will look into the SWR when I install the CB radio.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Street Wolf

Street Wolf, I just went outside and did some measuring and I realized that if I mount behind my spare it may block/get in the way of my rear auxillary light. I like where you have yours also, but does it block the brake light any? AKA, is some tightwad police going to give me a hard time about it?

Name:  353.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  112.0 KB

^^See what I mean about the light?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Default [pics]

Camdisco, as promised, pictures

Hows it look?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't have any problems with your antenna mounted to the bumper like Street Wolf and I have done. The antenna is not large enough to effect the light output of your tail lights.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, it won't be a problem.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
TReK

Perfect thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Torancis_LR

Hows it look?
Awesome! I love it, im going to mimic that setup. Thanks for taking the time to post pics, and thanks to all others for the VERY helpful input.

Quick Reply: Is this a good CB Radio?