ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Ultra-Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

from an ad campaign for Westec Security - a picture of a porch light with the phrase "by night it attracts moths, by day it attracts burglars"

Old 10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thats pretty good Savannah, no burglar's around here, but point is well taken.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My two porch lights come on every night and stay on all night. Yes, they attract moths, but the spiders on the porch don't mind that. My reasoning is that an intruder would be less likely to try to force a door while bathed in light.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Team Owner

We have a motion light by our back door, the light infront of the garage and front door we only use if we are going to be gone past dark.
There has not been a break in around here in over 30yrs.
In the country, people still dont lock their doors while gone for the day.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Pro Wrench

We have a motion light by the back door to the garage, on the back patio, and over the garage. I guess I reason if a criminal drives by and sees the front door bathed in light, he won't even exit the car.

We live a few blocks from a higher than normal crime area which used to be affordable college housing before it went section 8.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It's the ones on during the day that attract burglars. Not too many around here either, my neighbors all have scopes....

I was in the alarm biz for a long time, the sign is also a good thing that sends them on to greener pastures. The usual motivation was hubby travels, he's safe on the 17th floor of the Hilton, she is on the second floor, and hears the 800 pound basement pipseewah bumping around at night. She isn't about to go down in that unfinished basement. It is the first time in her life that she has been alone - growing up mom & dad were there, college she was in the sorority house, met Prince Charming and got a small apartment, he moved up the ladder, now they got the big house, and he's gone circuit riding. By the way, we figured out what the 800 pound basement pipseewah eats ..... the other sock!

One place I worked with in Atlanta had 53 installation and service trucks, started 17 new jobs every day, about $430K per month in sales, 16,000 customers. It's a living.

The best feature to get if you have one is an alarm memory light in the garage. If you come home, and light is on, system tripped, siren has reset or timed out. You decide - jump out with .357, go in house, then have rookie cop arrive seconds later? Or drive down street and call monitoring center to decide what's going on. Wife comes home, sees light is off. She knows that no one is in the house, and no one has been in the house. Big improvement over just an indoor keypad.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Or you can be like us and have a really big dog.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Pro Wrench

We have three large dogs that stay in the backyard all day, but sleep in the garage. Deadbolts are on all exterior doors with plates screwed through door jamb into studs. Glock 23 on my hip all day (except for when at work) and in fingerprint scanning pistol safe next to my bed while I sleep.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

Our 65lb black lab thinks she is a lap dog.
I have a .380 in my closet as well as 2 20gauge shot guns, one is bolt action and the other is pump.
Also a 10/22 Ruger and a sharp ivory handled hunting knife.
But like I said, we live in a really good neighborhood, so no worries.
The only problem we have are the kids across the street who like to do burnouts with their POS cars and trucks.
The kid totaled his Dodge Ram, had it towed to the side street and left it until they towed it away to the impound lot.
Glad that eyesore is gone.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel bad for the sob that breaks into my house when I'm home. I will stop him dead. I have cameras with closed circuit television along with alarm. I wish I had the light alarm that savannah was talking about.. 357 would be something to invest in. I have an old swat team ar 15 my buddy was able to "loose" that I 'found'
Spike: nothings wrong with being Christian, but saying God is saving us and blah blah blah is to far.... - from a catholic

Quick Reply: Ultra-Gauge