ROAMING WITH FRIENDS Make friends, socialize, share pics and other non technical threads.

Why do you own a Land Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because theres nothing better then being the only truck on the road in the middle of a snow storm in Michigan!!. and drving by all P.O.S H3 & H2!!..lol... and if the Brits aprove,its alright with me!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dads 300 does 90 ... on 285/70 all terrains with lift kit and the bumpers which spot lamps etc and boost rims , has been played with do I am always crazy about suv's thats why I like it

Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did that post make sense to anybody?
he lost me somewhere after "rims , "...

and for every hybrid on the road around seattle that is just more fuel available for me and my disco to use while making bad decisions.

you oughta join us for some of our "bad desicion off roading trips" sometime if you are as close as the seattle area...

Last edited by pilsner; 01-21-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts
Cool

I have always admired Rovers, but never as a kid or young adult had any access to them. In later years I had seen them on the road and thought " that would be nice" but always figured it was out of my reach. Then one day a very non mechanically minded customer of mine ( who has owned 4 discos) offered me a deal I couldn't pass up on the DI I have now....I was told it "needed a lot of work" which it did, I've done a lot , and as with most of us it's a work in progress, I also own a 1999 chevy blazer and to take both of these vehicles down the same road it really shows how well built the Rover is and what a Pile of CRAP the chevy is . I wouldn't trade this vehicle for any thing unless it was another Land Rover. As with any heavy vehicle they can be high maintenance, but what a feeling of security versus the other choices out there. I'm probably contributing a little extra to air pollution, and I didn't help our precious auto makers by allowing the govt to crush my truck in trade for a pos chevy etc, etc, but I think in the long run, my "carbon footprint" is considderably less than some do-gooder going out and buying a hybrid that gets a mile or two better fuel economy than his previous ride, sucked up the $$$$$ of natural resources to make it and the needs a $8000.00 battery pack 50,000 miles down the road !

Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it is "the best 4x4 by far".

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember when I first saw a Land Rover I just know that I have always wanted one. I had a Jeep Cherokee Sport that was falling apart and I had never bought a car or truck that I actually wanted, just what I could find. My first choice was a Toyota Tacoma because I didn't think I could afford a rover. After looking all over the place and only finding trucks with 200,000 miles in my price range, I came across my D2 at a Toyota place in Knoxville. Luckily I had never read any of the forums before I bought it because it might have freaked me out. So in short, I bought the first one I saw (even though I almost had a panic attack at the thought of not "shopping" around) and it has turned out to be a great truck. I knew I would never be without a rover the min I test drove it. I now own a D1 as well, and will hopefully own a RRC and a Defender 110 one day!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a teacher. Now that I have the disco I no longer need to stay home on a snowday!
We were camping in the National forest down in North Carolina this spring break and I was at the very end of the road. Except for where the trail began. My little VW would never go, but I wanted to. This is my first V8--first 4x4--First large vehicle. It sucks the gas and I love it!
I test drove several and found some great deals. The one I currently drive was almost even trade for the VW Beatle I was driving for 4 years (and bought used). I now have a Disco of the same year with 1/2 the mileage.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much all of Spikes answers and I like many of you grew up wanting a LR or and old TLC 40/45. I had pictures of 109's, SII/SIII's, and 110's on my wall. I really only bought the Disco to curb my demons until I can afford a well kept D110. I guess I could have afforded a high mileage D90 non-diesel but there is nothing on earth like a D110 diesel... Nothing.

They are a different breed, we are a different breed, and there is nothing else quite like them...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Rovers are chick magnets. I had women stopping all the time asking about my Rover. I guess they felt sorry for me sitting on the side of the road. Just kidding. My Rover never broke down which is the reason I want another Rover. And they're chick magnet, when driven by someone other than me. I guess the magnetism of an aluminum body can't overcome the repelling force of my body.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Rovers are chick magnets. I had women stopping all the time asking about my Rover. I guess they felt sorry for me sitting on the side of the road. Just kidding. My Rover never broke down which is the reason I want another Rover. And they're chick magnet, when driven by someone other than me. I guess the magnetism of an aluminum body can't overcome the repelling force of my body.
Its true they are. I never would have thought that before I owned one but they really are chick magnets. I would like to think its just me, but its the Rover...

Quick Reply: Why do you own a Land Rover?