Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Engine Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 06:32 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Not Starting

So I went out for a drive in my 1963 Land Rover Series 2a (positive earth) and pulled up to a stop sign and balanced the clutch and accelerator to keep her steady on the hill and she cut out. I went to try and start her again and she was dead, not even any turning over or any sound whatsoever. I managed to let her roll back down the hill and find a safe place to rest but still, nothing happened when I started her. On my battery, I have a positive lead connected to the battery cradle and the negative lead goes to the ignition switch and then on to the starter motor. My immediate thought was the starter motor had stopped working but my friend said I should have another lead coming from the battery cradle to the engine block, I could not see one and wanted to see if this was true. I could not see anything in the manual stating there should be one or where it fits but thought I would ask all of you. He said to run a jumper from the positive terminal to the engine block and then to try starting her again. I did this and it did work, but I have never had this problem before nor can I see the lead connecting the positive feed to the engine block. I may buy a new started motor and fit that to see if that resolves the issue but wanted to ask for advice on here, any thoughts...
Sincerely
G