Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Positive Earth

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 12:00 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive Earth

Have an original 1966 Series2a 2.25 diesel 109 station wagon. We have owned and kept running since 1970. We touched every area of the Land Rover over years in repairs and maintenance.

One new item being considered is to convert from positive earth to negative earth, so that an alternator could be installed. In investigating I can't get confirmation on the diesel conversion, everything I gather is for petrol model. I didn't get a clear/concise answer from RoverNorth.com about their kit and instructions. So just looking for verification can the negative earth and alternator conversion be easily done on the diesel. My electric diagram is as shown, even with two 6v batteries in series. Also if you can advise on possibility of just changing to negative earth keeping existing dynamo. Indication is you just change ammeter wiring and voltage regulator wires. Just hoping someone that has done it on diesel and can validate

Thank you - Jim

Old 10-19-2020, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I did this on my petrol 1963 about 20 years ago. Nothing to it. I put an alternator on, but I think a generator field only needs to be flashed with a positive. I think a diesel only has a fuel shut off solenoid that's not on the petrol, and I don't think it will care which direction the electricity goes through it.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive Earth Questions

So I went out for a drive in my 1963 Land Rover Series 2a (positive earth) and pulled up to a stop sign and balanced the clutch and accelerator to keep her steady on the hill and she cut out. I went to try and start her again and she was dead, not even any turning over or any sound whatsoever. I managed to let her roll back down the hill and find a safe place to rest but still, nothing happened when I started her. On my battery, I have a positive lead connected to the battery cradle and the negative lead goes to the ignition switch and then on to the starter motor. My immediate thought was the starter motor had stopped working but my friend said I should have another lead coming from the battery cradle to the engine block, I could not see one and wanted to see if this was true. I could not see anything in the manual stating there should be one or where it fits but thought I would ask all of you. He said to run a jumper from the positive terminal to the engine block and then to try starting her again. I did this and it did work, but I have never had this problem before nor can I see the lead connecting the positive feed to the engine block. I may buy a new started motor and fit that to see if that resolves the issue but wanted to ask for advice on here, any thoughts...
Sincerely
G

Old 04-25-2022, 06:51 PM
TReK

It sounds like you have a poor ground (positive in your case). Make sure your positive (ground) connections from your battery to the chassis and to the engine are good. These need to be quite heavy wires.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:54 PM
TReK

Your friend is right about needing a heavy wire to ground the engine. I’m pretty sure a new starter won’t solve your issue.