Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Rear Axle Housing for Series 2a

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:24 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Axle Housing for Series 2a

My dad owns a 1962 Series 2a Land Rover and as a summer project, we've been looking at getting it back in running order. Most of it can be cleaned up with relative ease but the rear axle housing has rusted through to the point where it would either need a pretty intense welding job or we need to find a replacement. Any tips on how to source one? I've looked around the web for a bit but have been unable to find anything as of yet. Could I potentially use a rear axle from an early Defender? From what I've read, the Series 2 to the original defenders basically used many of the same components, mostly only seeing cosmetic upgrades. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-24-2021, 11:40 AM
TReK
Received 490 Likes on 425 Posts

Wow that’s serious rust to not be able to weld repair it. It’s pretty beefy steel.
It’s probably not easy to find a replacement as people are all trying to restore their 2A’s, not part them out. If you persist I’m sure you’ll find something.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:03 PM
8th Gear

Yeah, it has sat for quite a few years at this point but, luckily, most of it seems to still be intact. Gonna take a lot of work but I think we'll be able to get it on the road again.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obijaun,
Did you find a Rear Axle Housing and where do you live?

Regards,

Dion

Old 06-21-2021, 01:20 PM
8th Gear

Haven't found one yet and we live in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Willing to travel for it or pay shipping depending on how far it is.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,238 Likes on 737 Posts

Send the folks at RoversNorth.com an e-mail. They have been in the 'biz for a long time. They used to source parted vehicles, or I seem to recall that. They are definitely connected enough to the supply market that they may be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Ok I live in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada. I suggest check with RoversNorth.com as GrouseK9 had mentioned. Then if not, then we can discuss further other options.

Regards,

Dion

Old 06-21-2021, 04:41 PM
8th Gear

Alright, I'll get in contact with one of the people there and see what I can scrounge up. I've been talking with one of the guys over at Dare Britannia as well to see what they have and they're helping me out with a few things. There's an event called Mad Dogs and Englishmen somewhat close to where I live where owners of vintage english vehicles will go to show them off and I'm hoping I'll be able to make a few connections there. After digging into the rover itself a bit, it'll need a lot of work besides the axle but that's the most vital thing for sure. Thank you both for the input though!

Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM
Drifting

All good...
All the best with rebuild
I got a couple things done for my 2-door or 4-door. Next is the engine...

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:48 PM
8th Gear

Ours has a long ways to go, been sitting out in the yard for about a decade so there are plenty of things to work on. Just started messing with the engine today and after about 15 minutes of messing with the sparkplugs, the points, the cap, and the rotor, it fired up using the crank and shot a huge mouse nest out of the muffler. Granted, we pulled the starter and messed with that for about 3 hours to no avail but really can't complain. Now we just have to replace just about everything else and it'll be good to go.

Good luck to you as well!

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (06-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Housing for Series 2a