Series I, II, IIa, III Land Rovers For all Series Land Rovers

Repowering an old series II

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 07:37 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repowering an old series II

I inherited an old one in France. Frame was mostly rotten so we replaced everything below. Now is moves ok but engine seems unable to get us past 35mph and this falls off with the slightest incline. Compression is ok and engine is in tune. Suggestions about replacement/ rebuild? Best swap out option? Suggestions for sources in UK or France? Don't want to spnd a fortune on this old truck but would like it more functional…..thanks all

Old 09-07-2023, 10:53 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I suspect there is nothing seriously wrong with your engine. I doubt that you need to swap it. I know that in the UK you will be able to find an experienced Series LR mechanic who can figure it out, but perhaps not as easy in France?
A few things come to mind. Improper ignition timing could cause poor power. A partially plugged carburetor etc.
More difficult, but still much cheaper than an engine swap, would be improper valve timing. This would be caused by the last person who assembled it to have installed the timing chain incorrectly by one (or more) teeth.
Good luck. You will really enjoy it once you get this sorted.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the speedy reply. I think I have a pretty good mechanic in France, but I will ask him to adjust the valves and do the other things you have suggested. These cars are certainly not ever going to be hot rods but it’s nice to think that they can get up a hill at more than 20 miles an hour!

Old 09-07-2023, 12:59 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Yes. My suggestion was not a valve adjustment, but valve timing. If the valve’s were way too loose I suppose it could cause low power, but I think it would run very noisily. I’m pretty sure your valve’s aren’t too tight as you said your compression was good. I’m talking about valve timing, which is set by the timing chain that drives the camshaft.
If you have access to a good mechanic I’m pretty sure he’ll figure it out.