Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

might have lost the EKA code. The US code is 1515.

To tell you the honest truth, when i first got on this forum, a lot of people were have EKA code issues and remember resetting the code in the door generally work. How to do it, I don't remember offhand.

Edit - Attempt the following thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...d-works-45005/

2nd edit - just realized your key wont turn..

Last edited by dgi 07; 10-24-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by meat
Part of me thinks the key isn't going in far enough (again I don't think I've ever actually unlocked it manually before so excuse me for this one). It wiggles quite a bit but won't turn more than a few degrees.
If you look on the key blade you should see the word 'Valero.' The key slips into the lock slot right up to the 'V' on Valero. Turning key to the left should open the door. From your picture it looks like the key is all the way in, but you might be out a fraction too far -- difficult to tell. You might try carefully pushing in a bit more.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
.....You might try carefully pushing in a bit more.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Rock Crawling

You Jersey Guys......

Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast951
You Jersey Guys......
OK I take it back. Penetrating oil did the trick! It just needed to sit for a few hours. I got home a little while ago and with a little more confidence I turned the key to the left and it moved a few millimeters farther. A few more tries and I got the door unlocked. I heard a sprinkle of metal snowflakes inside the door though so I'm going to have to keep my eye on it. It now locks and unlocks like normal with the fob and the key.

Anything besides some graphite I should put in the lock to keep it from gunking up?

Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 855 Likes on 622 Posts

Try this. It's what I have to do with the ignition key in my truck.

Instead of trying to push the key in further try pulling it out slowly while trying to gently turn it. Mine pulls out maybe an 1/8th to 3/8ths of an inch before it turns readily. Whatever you do don't force it.

(EDIT: I see now that between the time I started this reply and when I clicked on Submit the OP posted the solution. Regardless of that I think the method I describe is worth keeping in mind. When I first had trouble with the key in the ignition switch I kept trying push it in further. Didn't work.)

Last edited by mln01; 10-24-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
Try this. It's what I have to do with the ignition key in my truck.

Instead of trying to push the key in further try pulling it out slowly while trying to gently turn it. Mine pulls out maybe an 1/8th to 3/8ths of an inch before it turns readily. Whatever you do don't force it.

(EDIT: I see now that between the time I started this reply and when I clicked on Submit the OP posted the solution. Regardless of that I think the method I describe is worth keeping in mind. When I first had trouble with the key in the ignition switch I kept trying push it in further. Didn't work.)
Definitely will keep it in mind. I am almost positive I had that same problem with one of my previous vehicles.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Door lock is like CDL, you need to use it every once in a while to keep it in tune with the rest of your rover

Old 10-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Door lock is like CDL, you need to use it every once in a while to keep it in tune with the rest of your rover
I will be using it now that's for sure.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by meat
...Anything besides some graphite I should put in the lock to keep it from gunking up?
Nope. Just use the key once in a while to unlock the door like Hokie says.

Quick Reply: Completely locked out of the disco! Battery fully charged. Key won't turn in lock