Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake resivoir leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
To rebuild the master cylinder properly with all the parts included in the kit (rear o-rings, & yellow plastic retainer as well as the reservoir seals) I highly recommend removing it from the vehicle. Then you reconnect everything and with a person inside pumping you bleed it at the ABS Block (two lines from the master cylinder go straight to the ABS Block). Bleed it, fill it, bleed it, fill it, then switch to the last line and repeat bleading it, filling the reservoir, and bleeding it. You should have a firm pedal after that and no more issues. I've done this in a parking lot on the side of the road in less than 20min from start to finish.
I understand why it's tempting to just remove the reservoir and replace the seals, but it seems to me that it's prudent to use all the parts in the rebuild kit. I expect they're included for good reason.

That said, I had more trouble using the rebuild kit than Best4x4's 20 min. performance. It's been a few years ago now and I don't remember all the problems I had but if I were to need to do it again on my truck or any other I'd buy a new, complete master cylinder. A new master cylinder doesn't cost all that much more than the rebuild kit, certainly not enough to offset the frustration and time my rebuild cost me.

YMMV.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Also make a friend close by that owns a disco so that way you don't have to get a wife and one who will understand the reason you still have one
^^^This. BMS50GSXR has been a blessing. We scratch each other's backs but i admit that he has done a lot more for me; he just has a better truck is all. 😉

Old 02-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I understand why it's tempting to just remove the reservoir and replace the seals, but it seems to me that it's prudent to use all the parts in the rebuild kit. I expect they're included for good reason.

That said, I had more trouble using the rebuild kit than Best4x4's 20 min. performance. It's been a few years ago now and I don't remember all the problems I had but if I were to need to do it again on my truck or any other I'd buy a new, complete master cylinder. A new master cylinder doesn't cost all that much more than the rebuild kit, certainly not enough to offset the frustration and time my rebuild cost me.
W
YMMV.
That's why you just buy the 2 reservoir seals and then replace the MC itself when the time comes. No point in rebuilding a perfectly good master cylinder. I agree that a kit comes a certain way for a reason but logic doesn't follow in the case of MC rebuild setup. If more suppliers sold the resv' grommets only, most people would spend the $20 on that rather than the complete $70 kit, I can assure you of this. I go as far to call it a racket.

Last edited by chubbs878; 02-19-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

The Seal Kit that normally sells for around 50.00-65.00 is not a complete rebuild kit. It's a new reservoir, reservoir seals, new metal clip, new filter, new rear plastic cover, new rear piston seal, and two new O-Rings. It is not the very internal piston seals of the actual master cylinder.

The hardest part is removing the old rear plastic cover to gain access to the O-Ring underneath it along with the external rear piston seal, but since you've got a brand new replacement so you don't have to be extremely careful with it.

I've done several of these kits on D2's and on a few of them the O-Ring under the cover was causing brake fluid to leak into the Brake Booster and ruin it. Then on another one the booster wasn't holding a vacuum due to the outer O-Ring, and another one actually had the little tube that goes into the rear seal crack and leak.

The new reservoir might not seem like something you need, but I haven't seen one that I wanted to keep after doing the swap because the plastic had gone cloudy making it hard to clearly see the brake fluid level especially after a brake fluid flush, over time the reservoir gets brittle, and usually it's lined with old goo. I've been able to get the kits as low as 50.00.

I've had good luck with the All Makes 4x4/Eurospare Complete Master Cylinder as it's a MUCH Beefier design. If you don't want to fool with a 20min repair (yes I did it honestly in 20min in a parking lot using every single part in the kit. I've never just replaced the reservoir seals & leaving it on the vehicle). Then just slap on a complete new one and be done with it for a very long time.

P.S. You can get just the two front reservoir seals off from an Australian website for like 40.00 by the time you get it shipped, but the kit for 50.00-65.00 with free shipping kinda makes more sense.

Last edited by Best4x4; 02-20-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:43 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Note to self - Get a wife so I can bleed my brakes
Jeez, get your money's worth eh, they can do lots of jobs, bleed the brakes, pass the spanners, dig the garden, mow the lawn, wash the floors, make the dinner etc, etc, the list is endless and free's you up to watch the match on TV

(note, don't give her a credit card though, it's lethal)

Old 02-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Jeez, get your money's worth eh, they can do lots of jobs, bleed the brakes, pass the spanners, dig the garden, mow the lawn, wash the floors, make the dinner etc, etc, the list is endless and free's you up to watch the match on TV

(note, don't give her a credit card though, it's lethal)
i married a German so I get fed well, she runs a clean house, keeps her flowers up, and loves auburn football but will blow through money like no other!!!