Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:03 PM
Drifting
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Love to know how you did it!

Have a 2003 with a 2004 CDL transfer. Need to know how you hooked up the CDL. I am looking at levers but spending $400(eBay)-$500 (Lucky8) on a new linkage.

Is it a simple twist ****?

Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by 2oolander
Have a 2003 with a 2004 CDL transfer. Need to know how you hooked up the CDL. I am looking at levers but spending $400(eBay)-$500 (Lucky8) on a new linkage.

Is it a simple twist ****?
Yes, my set up is a homemade linkage, designed after Greg Davis's set up, made from two 8 inch 3/8's extentions and two swivels, black **** and a fabricated bracket that connects to the nipple. There use to be a decent link that showed how he made the linkage, but it was dead the last time I looked. The assembly works pretty well actually, it turns the CDL nipple with ease.

Anyhow, if you don't believe you can make the linkage, check with "Joe" in the for sale section...he has a CDL factory linkage set up for sale. And they pop up from time to time.

Brian.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Drifting
Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick thanks for recommending to hook-up with Joe! Definitely the right hook-up and we are in touch regarding a CDL - Cheers

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Went back out to the state land...

And they had opened one gate that leads down to a small lake, for boaters. Nice drive back in and we found a hill to climb that took us back through way of the woods. Nice twisty turns, with barely room for another coat of paint and a nice decent back to the main trail. Was only about a quarter mile trail, but it was a whole lot better than nothing.

Tried the entry hill, which was about 2-1/2 lengths of the Discovery, sandy and pretty steep, without CDL first...just to see how well the traction control worked. Not good, failed after two attempts. Next try was with CDL engaged, still took two runs, at different approach angles...but we got up the hill. The trail was pretty tight at the top...good stuff. And airing the tires down, probably would have helped immensely on the wet sand hill. Granted, my last try at the hill was my most robust attempt...so, I'm not sure if it was the CDL's addition...or just momentum. More testing needs to be done...whoo hooo!

Sorry, no pictures...tablet was at home charging.

Brian.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy

So, I'm heading out to get a spare tire tomorrow (265/75/16 MT) and thought I better do the rear tire support flip.

I'm assuming...the nuts that are inside the rear door...are not suppose to drop inside the door...after removing the six bolts...lol.

Add another step to the flip, remove inner panel.

Cut the notch in the support for wiper arm and drilled the two holes, will add additional support within the support to strengthen the whole thing.

Brian.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Brought the rover home from work.

Added some recovery points to the front bumper and finished welding up winch plate mounting brackets.

Finished flopping the spare tire mount, added a couple cross pieces inside and re-welded all three studs on back side.

The girls, reunited.

Funny story, my wife came home last night and asked...why's the car trailer hooked to the truck?...l'm like...???...l'm going to bring my rover home from work. She's like...???...it was gone? I guess the poor gal has finally lost track of all the vehicles I have...lol.

Brian.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Cleaned the lens on the tablet...

Recovery points.

Round tube braces that I welded inside the spare tire mount. These should stiffen it up some.

All flopped over and new spare in place.

The girls...

And the boys for good measure...

Brian.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You must love cars that require a LOT of maintenance!

Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 PM
Camel Trophy

Locked and loaded...

Aired down the tires (20psi) and charged up the air (A/C...is nice).

Taking the two grandsons up north camping for a few days and we're taking the rover for good measure. Hope to get out to Bull Gap and surrounding areas south. Know this area well, so hopefully I can give the grand boys a bit of a thrill.

Haven't camped in about 20 yrs...so wish my old bones luck.

Brian.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Default Like they say...

It never happen unless there are pictures.

Loaded and head north for a camping adventure weekend, with the two grandsons.

Unloaded and ready for some trail riding.

Boys were more interested in browning up some marshmallows. But that would have to wait, sorry.

After some bribing, telling them that they could play good guy-bad guy (these are fake guns...for those that are gasping for OMG air right now...lol) out in the woods...they were game.

We went for four trail rides, finding several that were quite difficult. But, if I would have had this winch before we left...we'd have never backtracked out of a nice muddy spot we found on day three. Only mud we found, but we were a few miles off the main road...so walking with a 9 and 5 year old...after getting stuck or something...didn't interest me.

Glory shot. Had a pile of railroad ties, about three high, stacked out back...no CDL, fail...CDL engaged, winner, winner chicken dinner.

Haven't completely wired the winch yet, hopefully this weekend.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 09-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dll Mild Ambitious Build