Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on upgrading sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Some details on the double din mod

these are the two plastic pieces I added after cutting out the HVAC tray. 1/8" thick abs plastic.

Going well so far. It's not exactly easy, but its a nice break from tight to reach bolts and muscling parts into position. More about artistic finess

Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a local shop do a very similar double din mod for me. Works and looks great. They also did a ported 10" sub on the back door.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Pro Wrench

That looks good.

I finished up the fascia. Mine doesn't look as good, I got lazy and didn't want to spend a thousand hours sanding to perfection

Old 08-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Hot damn

Old 08-22-2017, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Was going to finish the front doors today but I misjudged the depth on the speakers. They fit with the windows up, but not down. So looks like I'm going to order some more pvc pipe to bring it out 3"

Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Everything is coming together super nicely. I'd Still recommend rotating your subs and rear speakers to be rear firing. You should get better sound that way, and you won't deafen rear passengers as much. I'd atleast flip the subs around because that will give you better lows.

Those front door cards are really interesting. Look forward to seeing them with the speakers mounted in PVC.

Hows the cross bar stability in the rear with all the weight on it?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I'll experiment with it once I put it all together. The problem is that the clamp is at the forward position of the pods, and the sub pods are 12" long, so if I flipped them, it would look bad and have a foot of pvc poking closer to the front.

Stability is really solid. I added two more u-bolts - they are through bolted with a steel plate on the sunroof frame.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM
Pro Wrench

3" pvc added to the front doors to bring the speakers out. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Did the first test today. Everything works good. Not very impressed with the Infinity components yet... but I still need to fiddle with the settings on the amp. FYI I decided to go with the 5-channel pioneer amp to simplify.

Too much high-range and sounds sort of muffled. The rockfords actually sound great - better than the infinity. Bass is good and strong. I have the tweeter dangling up at the top of the a-pillar at the moment... I think they'd sound better closer to the infinity's, as they're at foot level. In hindsight I should have mounted the infinity's higher.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

The crossovers that came with the infinitys may have a selection to decrease tweeter volume. If so try that.

Also if you still aren't real happy with the sound, try running the infinity woofers strait from the amp instead of through the crossover. I did that with my bostons and it helped the sound. Should also help quite a bit once you have the tweeters down in their factory position. At the top of the a-pillar they're right next to your head.

And of course following that you'll want to play with the EQ in your Head unit. Shouldn't have any trouble getting the sound where you want it.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks for the tips. Made it better today. I want to try the head unit's Auto EQ function, but I can't figure out how to activate it... it's greyed out. It involves using the microphone and the head unit auto tunes itself. Sounds nifty!

Here's the dash good to go

Quick Reply: Tips on upgrading sound system?