Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on upgrading sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

The 6 and a half's went up without a fuss. Bar is very stable. It's the 8" woofers I'm worried about... look at the size of these caps, they weigh like 5 pounds each by themselves. The pipe should be here by the end of the week.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Those pods look awesome. Looking forward to seeing how those PVC ends work out. Did you ever figure anything out for the bar clamp?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Those pods look awesome. Looking forward to seeing how those PVC ends work out. Did you ever figure anything out for the bar clamp?
Yeah the pvc will be interesting.

Haven't decided on the clamps yet. I like the clamp the pods with, because it's a single clamp that holds both woofers and is well made aluminum. Waiting until I receive the pvc to decide. I will probably roll the dice, keep the clamps, and return the pods to Amazon for a full refund. Worst case I have to send the clamps back later. The Rockville support is utterly useless.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Oh, are you doing PVC with those PVC end caps? Interesting. I think I would've tried making an MDF or plywood ring to go into the PVC end cap before dropping the dough on that big piece of PVC. Either way I think it's going to be neat for sure.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah. Now that I see how deep the caps are, I probably should have tried that. But more volume = better sound right?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Kinda, but not exactly. More internal volume=deeper range. Less internal volume=tighter sound. For sealed boxes I tend to lean a hair smaller, though around where the recommended volume is.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Better to overshoot the volume a bit than to undershoot if possible. In my experience, with non-internally tuned enclosures, too little volume always results in distortion just when I think it starts to sound good. Whereas every time I went a little to big, I was able to tune around any "laziness" I heard.

That being said, polyphil has always been a plus in my book whether the enclosure was too small or too large. It always helps lol.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Good call on poly fil. I'm also going to pick up some foam baffles and dynamat for the front doors.

speaking of front doors..........
i pulled the door cards off today. As you may know, my car has almost zero of the original trim. I'm already making new rear door cards out of king starboard... and now I'm thinking to do the fronts too. The front is a little more complicated because I need to retain the handle and speaker cutout. And a grab handle. Probably some sort of elbow rest. Kind of a fools errand, to replace something that is perfectly fine, but these door cards are literally the last standing interior trim besides the dash and console!

Any other tips tips if I go this route? E.g. Dynamat, baffles, etc? I'll have a blank slate. Maybe move the speaker higher in the door?

Old 08-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Are the tweeters for the components better to be mounted in the a-pillar or maybe up near where the grab handles are? Can't figure out yet how to fish wire down the a-pillar to the kick panel, I don't think there's a usable path without dismantling the dash.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy

In the a pillar is definitely better. I can't tell you the exact path, but I fished mine through without dismantling the dash. I just removed the a pillar trim and stuck a straightened out wire coat hanger down through. Taped the end of the wire to it and pulled it back up.

Quick Reply: Tips on upgrading sound system?