Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Reading comprehension. Get some.

They say drill the fairlead. And I posted their instructions for proof.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:54 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Reading comprehension. Get some.

They say drill the fairlead. And I posted their instructions for proof.

No drilling was done to either the Sahara bumper or the Warn fairlead. Contrary to your little instructions. I also saved $505.44

Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Not my instructions. Arb. And you spent more. Not saved. Drilling the original fairlead is free. I don't know if you are trying to not understand simple things to be funny or if you really don't understand how buying something new isn't saving money.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:59 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
Not my instructions. Arb. And you spent more. Not saved. Drilling the original fairlead is free. I don't know if you are trying to not understand simple things to be funny or if you really don't understand how buying something new isn't saving money.
Drilling cost time and money in labor so no it is NOT free. Furthermore the original fairlead was to big so drilling and cutting would have had to be done to make it work. I saved money vs buying ARB recommended winch setup which would have cost me close to $1,000. I spent a fraction of the cost on everything I needed including battery terminals and did not have to do any drilling into either the bumper or the fairlead. Your keyboard mechanic skills are lacking. Spend less time on the computer, less time filling your face with food and maybe Ill take your word for it more often.

Im not argueing that with some bumpers, you need to drill. Im argueing that with my specific bumper, winch and fairlead setup no drilling was needed. Correct me if Im mistaken but you do not own a D2, a sahara bumper or a superwinch ts 9500? But I do...

The problem with these forums is keyboard mechanics who are giving out false or partially incorrect information and advice to people. Get your facts straight before you make a bold statement like: "Warn winch roller fairleads don't fit the arb bumper either, until you drill new holes in them. It's in the ARB instructions". Instead consider that Warn fairleads "may" not fit all arb bumpers without some retrofitting. When your wrong take responsibility and admit it, otherwise you look like a moron.

Last edited by TRIARII; 06-27-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII

Warn XD9000 retails at $969.27 on Amazon, $1,000+ elsewhere.

Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 retails at $349.99 on Amazon

Warn 5742 roller fairlead retails $113.84 on amazon.

Total savings: $505.44.
False. You wasted $113.84 because you're afraid to think outside the box. You just spent $113.84 to have two holes drilled. Even if your mechanic charges $100/hr having those holes drilled by him would have been maybe $10.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Not sure if you would be able to reach in through that hole in the bumper, above winch spool release lever...but if you can get your hand in through there...you can rotate the end cap (where release lever is mounted) so it faces upward.

Called Superwinch to verify this, since mine will eventually mount with the bolts at bottom of winch plate...and winch will be tucked under grill/rad area. So, access to the lever will be impossible...so for my application I need the release facing forward.

Anyhow, just wasn't sure if you knew you could rotate end cap.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by fishEH
False. You wasted $113.84 because you're afraid to think outside the box. You just spent $113.84 to have two holes drilled. Even if your mechanic charges $100/hr having those holes drilled by him would have been maybe $10.
Ill say this for the third time. The fairlead was to big and did not fit in the bumper. Had misaligned holes been the only issue my mechanic would have drilled new holes in the first place. The Warn fairlead that arrived today fit perfectly and I installed it myself. The 2 remaining bolts provided with the superwinch were also to short so I had to get half inch longer bolts so they would grab. Did not need to drill.

The Warn fairlead was only $113 so honestly Im not worried because as I said before I saved several hundred bucks vs buying the warn winch. My winch is installed, hooked up and Im happy as a claim

Last edited by TRIARII; 06-27-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:58 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Not sure if you would be able to reach in through that hole in the bumper, above winch spool release lever...but if you can get your hand in through there...you can rotate the end cap (where release lever is mounted) so it faces upward.

Called Superwinch to verify this, since mine will eventually mount with the bolts at bottom of winch plate...and winch will be tucked under grill/rad area. So, access to the lever will be impossible...so for my application I need the release facing forward.

Anyhow, just wasn't sure if you knew you could rotate end cap.

Brian.
Thanks for the heads up. I can access the lever from beneath the bumper. Does it just rotate as is or would I have to remove the winch?

Thanks for the tip?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Thanks for the heads up. I can access the lever from beneath the bumper. Does it just rotate as is or would I have to remove the winch?

Thanks for the tip?
Looks pretty tight working conditions, by the picture anyway, but might be possible. The silver cap-screws have to be removed on the end cap, then gentle pull the cap back a smidgen and rotate to desired position. Call Superwinch directly, they were more than helpful when I called with several questions.

Brian.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 PM
TReK
Default Update: 9/12/17

My truck sustained a fair amount of external body damage during my last offroad trip in southern MA. The frame only gets worse. I'm now working out a tough deal with someone over a rust free 2003 D2. This will require a lengthy road trip and a engine & transfer case swap to the new truck. Nothing set in stone yet.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build