Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

No pics of the body damage? Weak.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy crap, what an epic thread. I just read this whole thing from the beginning.
I worked at a bike shop for a long time in college and noticed our good customers slotted into two basic general categories; those who thought of the bikes as tools for a bigger purpose (the ride/race itself) and those who fetishised the equipment. I looked down my nose at those who just dug the titanium bits for their own weight saving sake. I thought of the stuff as a tool for a more interesting and bigger purpose. I was an a**hole for judging someone based on what makes them happy. The stuff and equipment brings joy for its own sake and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My version of the American Dream(tm) doesn't have to look like yours and vice-versa. This thread is a written illustration of that dynamic. (among a few other things)
Plus this thread should be required reading for anyone considering buying a D2.

Ankeneering
97 D1 5-speed poverty spec cloth seats and no sunroofs.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ankeneering
Holy crap, what an epic thread. I just read this whole thing from the beginning.
I worked at a bike shop for a long time in college and noticed our good customers slotted into two basic general categories; those who thought of the bikes as tools for a bigger purpose (the ride/race itself) and those who fetishised the equipment. I looked down my nose at those who just dug the titanium bits for their own weight saving sake. I thought of the stuff as a tool for a more interesting and bigger purpose. I was an a**hole for judging someone based on what makes them happy. The stuff and equipment brings joy for its own sake and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My version of the American Dream(tm) doesn't have to look like yours and vice-versa. This thread is a written illustration of that dynamic. (among a few other things)

Ankeneering

Thanks for the interesting comment. Its been one hell of an experience for sure. I learned so much while tinkering on this truck, I regret nothing. But after roughly 5 years of ownership, it is time for me to move on and take this old girl out of commission. Shes got around 170k now and her age is showing. The rapid corrosion throughout the frame is the single major factor that influenced my decision to throw in the towel. Im taking a long break from fishing so I really cant afford to dish out $5,000+ in labor charges for the frame swap. Luckily the seller I bought the donor chassis from also has a 2004 white SE7 with a bad engine. We worked out a deal and I bought the truck. In a number of weeks Ill be driving down to Rockwell N.C. to meet the seller and hook up with a mechanic to swap over my engine, bumper and accessories. If all goes well Ill be back on the road in a rust free D2 in no time at all. First line of business is a visit to the nearest Waxoyl application center to get the frame undercoated.

The forum has been a great source of inspiration and knowledge for me over the years. Today I have ALOT more confidence in these vehicles, in my ability to work on them and sourcing replacement parts. Sadly Ive seen many awesome folks retire from this here forum and gradually the enthusiasm seems to be fading. Too much negativity and discouragement on here nowadays. Pity. My next build will be a spitting image of this build so there will be no need for me to start a new build thread. Its been fun.

Julian

Old 12-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Ankeneering

Ankeneering

​​​​​​I commented in the thread a few times, years ago.

Julian is the embodiment of Land Rover passion and precision, and his incredible thread kept my interest in my own Disco 2 high, well beyond expectations.

I still have my Disco and I used to check the forum daily. Now the only time I can reliably be found here is when I see that there is an update to his thread.

Sorry to hear about your frame, Julian! In Texas, that is the one part of the truck I never have to worry about.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
​​​​​​I commented in the thread a few times, years ago.

Julian is the embodiment of Land Rover passion and precision, and his incredible thread kept my interest in my own Disco 2 high, well beyond expectations.

I still have my Disco and I used to check the forum daily. Now the only time I can reliably be found here is when I see that there is an update to his thread.

Sorry to hear about your frame, Julian! In Texas, that is the one part of the truck I never have to worry about.

Hey Charlie...I still poke around here every once in a while as well.....hope you are well brotha.. Julian the adventure continues...

Old 12-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Me too!
I lurk just to keep up on the happenings with Julian’s truck.
Between 11 Rovers, a side business in Rovers, a day job, fixed-upper house and two small kids I have my hands full!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:01 AM
TReK

The remanufactured block has failed me abruptly. Probably need top end rebuild and new flex plate. Seems fate is guiding me in a new direction in life. I think this is definitely the end of the road for me and Land Rover. I will always love the unique styling and capabilities of the Discovery 1 & 2 models. But their engines are complete rubbish. It matters not how much money you sink into these engines, or how well you maintain them. they will fail. It not from slipped liners and cracked blocks then from premature oil pump failures and failed gaskets.

I look forward to a new exciting journey with Sprinter. From what I hear their diesel engines are nearly bulletproof and clock 300k easily.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Bad karma coming back.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by number9
Bad karma coming back.
Thats one way to look at life. If my biggest crime in this world is the fact that I dont agree with your views or follow suit, then I call that unfair. In the real world I treat my peers the way I want to be treated. I dont bring harm or destruction to my peers or to property and I respect the laws of the land. In any case I will stay true to be views and morals even if "karma" strips me of all my possessions and all my pride. Better to be yourself than live a lie for everyone else.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Hey Charlie...I still poke around here every once in a while as well.....hope you are well brotha.. Julian the adventure continues...
Same here, Yoops!

Really sorry to hear of Julian's bad luck. I've followed his threads for quite some time. And I have felt his frustration, too. In fact, I've found that my own Disco runs best when it is totally neglected and disdained.

Sprinters are neat. The engines are bulletproof.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build