Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

200 Dollar disco build

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got done with my road trip to TN. It was 12 hours straight each way for a total of about 2500ish miles. Rover ran like a champ the whole way with no issues. Temps never got over 180ish on the interstate and mostly in the 170s unless it was 95 degrees or so with the AC on. Other than 15MPG I have no complaints. Although I'm really not complaining about that since its a box on wheels so I expected crappy mileage. Overall I am very happy and got to do a little dirt road cruising while I was at it with a little mud to play in.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Mileage doesn't mean much, when you consider initial cost...you have plenty of wiggle-room in the fuel buying department.

Glad she ran well and you had a smooth trip.

Brian.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Solid work all around. Looks great too! (Although I'm a bit biased.)

I agree that these trucks don't have to be money pits if you:

1. Do your routine maintenance plus maybe a little extra here and there for good measure.

2. Do a lot of the work yourself (it's not a particularly complex engine, but get the RAVE manual for sure).

3. Spend a little time on the internet, ebay, and the local pull-your-part.

RAVE Manual if you don't have it yet: RAVE Manual

Old 08-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MacRoadie
Solid work all around. Looks great too! (Although I'm a bit biased.)

I agree that these trucks don't have to be money pits if you:

1. Do your routine maintenance plus maybe a little extra here and there for good measure.

2. Do a lot of the work yourself (it's not a particularly complex engine, but get the RAVE manual for sure).

3. Spend a little time on the internet, ebay, and the local pull-your-part.

RAVE Manual if you don't have it yet: RAVE Manual

yea I'm super OCD about maintenance and keeping things in good running order. I own 5 vehicles currently and probably 60+ since I was 16 (32 now) and every one of them gets all fluids changed on the regular. Not one to skimp on any routine/scheduled stuff. and I do all my own work so its only the cost of parts so that helps a lot.

So for so good with the Disco, she has been really reliable thus far.

Last edited by usaf_disco; 08-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's amazing adventure, i have similar but i paid more lol. Haven't had any head gasket issues, hoping it may have been done. I found there was a lot of little things that annoyed me, like the electric seat the reclining motor was fouled and well thats a couple ours to sort out. Mine was stuck in a vertical position I did some hacking a little and let it be know, don't try this at home. The 40amp fuse kept blowing everytime i tried to force the motor. So when i ran out of 30 and 40 amps. I could hear the dam motor trying real hard to work.. cm's of progress. So I took a piece of 14 guage copper wire and made myself a a 100 amp fuse lol. What a terrible idea! But for the temporary purpos of it all, that little broken/worn old motor came back to life.......at a cost hahaha. I laugh about it now but it was pretty impressive to see a ton smoke coming from inside the center console, from under the seats. "don't do this unless you really have too"

seat wiring harness

All the wires melted together and the grey one i think the coating vaporized...