Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I really hate to spend another $2k-4k on engine work, on a already new remanufactured block. Still does not explain WHY the oil pump failed. If all this is true then it sounds as though I need a new engine or major engine rebuild. Most absurd. Even if this oil was neglected a little bit (which is has not been) this level of failure is unacceptable. People claim that Land Cruiser engines can be starved of oil, overheated, their air intake systems clogged with sand and with minor maintenance they will still run forever. I do not understand what is so special or fragile in these Rover V8 engines that makes them so dam weak and intolerable to stress. If I do in fact need the engine rebuilt then I will be concluded this drama. I have dreams and goals and its getting to the point where this truck and these engines are holding me back.

Unfortunately I have no where to park this truck should I decide to part it out either so I may send it to a recycling facility and accept defeat. I will always love the capability, heritage and unique styling of Discovery 1/2 models but I absolutely cannot stand or tolerate these rubbish engines.

I was watching afew documentaries on super cars like Bugatti, Ferrari and McLaren and was completely taken back by the level of pride and perfection that is put into the construction/development of every one of their cars. The spotless factories with spot free floors, the amount of testing and the quality of the parts is incredible. The tolerances those cars are designed to endure is almost out of this world. The final product is a masterpiece of art and engineering. Every model, every single one of their cars is brilliance and perfection. If every car manufacturer adopted these principles then Land Rovers perhaps be one of the "best 4x4xfar".
The Rover has never been in the same class as any of these cars you mention. It is durable enough to go anywhere but that is about it. There are major design flaws with cooling, although you can control them. Major design flaws with the software. Major design flaws with the engine....its design is much older than the truck. I tell peopoe... Never buy a Rover unless you want to love it...as in work on it everyweek, and spend insane amounts of money
Some people aren't made to own a Rover...you sound like you're over your head.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

As far as I can tell there are no places remotely close by where you can rent a garage and work on your truck and leave it for weeks on end. Seems that was a popular concept afew decades ago when people enjoyed working on their own vehicles... The weather forcast for the area is very discouraging for anyone hoping to work on their vehicle outside. If the shop still has not taken a look on Tuesday then Il pulling the plug and having the truck towed back to my families house. Then I will try to sell it or burn it to the ground. There has to be an end sometime. Ive been talking about road trips for years now but this dam truck is holding me back from doing all those things I want to do. Even if the oil pump issues are addressed it still does not solve the long term issues with the misfires of which I need the engine pulled to inspect the flex plate and gear ring. That would cost me afew grand alone.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I say screw that Shop, get your truck back. Rent a storage spot for a month and dig in. It’s not a hard job. Better to get aquatinted with the workings of the motor now. Let’s just say it is toast, then you spent $500-$1000 for someone to tell you it’s toast. It’s a DIY job especially with help from forum members.

You will be satisfied to know you did the work and be one step closer to the next chapter for a lot less money. The only way to learn is to do it.
I believe he is talking about a storage unit. Rent it, buy a little propane heater, most have electricity, grab some tools and dig in.

Brian.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:42 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

If your parents home has a garage ask them if you can park your rover in there while you take it apart if it doesn't fit due to the rack take it off set it outside on the side of the house, drain the oil from the engine, remove the bottom oil pan look for debris, remove the front main crank pulley, and remove the timing cover. All this information is available for free by using the Rave manual it has plenty of pictures and diagrams of all the parts and steps to removing the parts. Give it a shot it will only cost you towing it back and your time looking on the rave manual and here on the forum. As a LR owner and others here we all want is for you to continue to enjoy your Rover you just got to do it. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Now tow that rover to your parents and take it apart and don't give your money to someone that is going to tell you what you already know that you need to fix something, you have to do it anyway save your money and fix it yourself.

Last edited by Icannap1; 12-31-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Icannap1
If your parents home has a garage ask them if you can park your rover in there while you take it apart if it doesn't fit due to the rack take it off set it outside on the side of the house, drain the oil from the engine, remove the bottom oil pan look for debris, remove the front main crank pulley, and remove the timing cover. All this information is available for free by using the Rave manual it has plenty of pictures and diagrams of all the parts and steps to removing the parts. Give it a shot it will only cost you towing it back and your time looking on the rave manual and here on the forum. As a LR owner and others here we all want is for you to continue to enjoy your Rover you just got to do it. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Now tow that rover to your parents and take it apart and don't give your money to someone that is going to tell you what you already know that you need to fix something, you have to do it anyway save your money and fix it yourself.

My necromancy skills are lacking

If I could find a place locally to safely park the pos then Id consider doing the work myself when temps go back up. Use the Sprinter as my daily driver etc. Storage units in town to short even with my roof rack removed.

I find out Tuesday weather Im approved for the Sprinter. So much easier to work on! Ironic that a newer vehicle like the Sprinter is easier and more user friendly than a 1960's block... I really dont understand why you folks insist on these engines. Complete rubbish. Simple ignition wire job is a pita on these engines. Fuel injectors cant be accessed without disconnecting a bunch of **** and removibg upper intake manifold. Its absurd. These vehicles are not user friendly nor are they ideal in the field. When a new or professionally remanufactured engine fails and requires rebuild 20k later that really says alot about these engines. Awhile back another member here purchased a reman engine from Atlantic British and shortly after it failed. How about all the cannibal v8 blocks that failed? Dont matter who did the rebuild or how much $$$$$ you sink into a new block; they will fail in forseeable future. This is not normal folks.

A 2.7l 5 cylinder engine can clock between 200k-600k with minimum maintence on a first gen Sprinter. A Land Cruiser engine can clock 200k-300k with a hard life and abuse. A remanufactured rover v8 with new everything barly clocks 20k before oil pump fails, multiple cylinder misfires, leaking valve covers and requires top end rebuild. I promise you foljs that even if I threw in another $15k into this engine, getting everything squared away; eventually something else engine related will fail.

Last edited by TRIARII; 12-31-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

^^^^oh you say all of this, but if it turns out just being the oil pump...you'll be back driving this rover with a big old smile on your face.

We just hate to lose a rover enthusiast, you've fought the battle for a long time now and if you spent some time learning how to do some mechanical repairs...you might be able to hang on to the rover...at least as a second vehicle.

Anyhow, best of luck in your new endeavor.

Brian.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Aren't there any members nearby willing to help? When the time comes to do my head gaskets and other mods I will welcome members to come over to watch, learn, and assist if they want to. What good is a club if we don't support each other?

Old 12-31-2017, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That 1960 engine is not difficult to work on but then again how many had injection, upper intakes an no distributor? Progrsssion of that engine design lacked the attention needed to progressively move into the future but this is all known and documented for anyone looking to purchase a Rover. This is not a daily driver for someone not willing to spend time and money or is afraid of sweat and grease.

I miss my D1 with the early 3.9 as that was a true run anywhere anytime vehicle. 300k plus miles and original head gaskets. Yes it had leaks but most were steering related but I also understood that the design was archaic and what vehicle power plant from that design ere did leak? Ever work on a SBC from the 70s.

On another note: is your reman engine truly at fault? A lot of speculation here but most tends to be away from that being the case. How was the short block supplied? Who did the assembly and what did they supply? Where did the oil pump come from and where did it enter the equation. We still don’t even know what the issue is at this point but it sounds as if you are just ready to move on. I don’t know exactly what the conversations were with the shop but they may have had jobs in before yours that took longer than expected and then coupled with holidays and time off: it has taken longer than anticipated. Best of luck and make sure you get a PPI done on that Sprinter. Depending on who owned it and how it was used: some deferred issues may show.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

MEMBERS NEED TO PUT THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR CONTROL PANEL SO IT SHOWS UP.

I help local Rover people all the time. I've driven up to two hours away to meet with Rover people and help them.

Just curious, but did you but open the oil filter?

Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it too early to ask how much you want for the trashed/horrible block?

Owning a Discovery to me is about the experience, I enjoy the perpetual project and it is truly a hobby for me to keep it in tip top shape. I have other cars to drive if something goes amiss but usually daily drive the D2 cause I love it. Mine is a family member and will be on the road as long as I can buy gas for it. I have a Toyota that I only open the hood on to change the oil every 6 months, could you imagine trying that with a D2? Never checking oil/coolant? I watch my ultraguage like a hawk and do not defer any issues. Good luck with what you decide, keeping our D2’s alive and well isn’t for everyone and as you know isn’t cheap.

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start