Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

98 Discovery I Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery I Headlight Issues

I have a 98 Discovery I with 190k miles on her and yesterday I started her up to drive home from work and the headlights would not come on high or low beam. I changed my bulbs about 6 months ago but unplugged them and sure enough they are not getting any power. Checked the under hood 30a fuse and it is good. Removed the switch and tested it and it is good. Running lights and tail lights still work so that is strange. Checked my grounds and they are good. Under dash fuse box has 4 fuses for the headlights and they are all good and get power when they should depending on if the highs or lows are on. In short the fuse box is getting power from the headlight switch BUT the power is not making it to the headlights. I searched RAVE over and over again and I do not see a relay or anything after the fuse box. I even went as far as to trace the headlight wires all the way from the headlights to the firewall and found no issues. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but a few days before I accidently left my headlights on and drained my battery and had to jump it. Headlights still worked then. Everything electrical on it still works other than the headlights. Could it be my fuse box? Is there a relay I am overlooking? I know it has several relays hidden under the dash but RAVE shows that I do not have a headlight relay. So confused and lost as what could be the problem. HELP

Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

check the fuse for power in the engine compartment MF4 fuse 30 amp if it is good and have power verified by a meter continue by turning on the headlights then check the fuses f11 and f10 both are 10 amp fuses located in under dash these are the high beam you should have power when the high beam is selected and low beam fuses f4 and f5 are also 10 amp fuses they should have power when low beam is selected if no power is verified on either 4 fuses during it selected beam replace the headlight switch or it can also be the connector at the switch pin 2 for high beam or pin 5 for low beam. If power is verified at the 4 fuses when beam is selected then check connector C204 behind fuse box under dash fascia.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Drifting

30A fuse in the under hood fuse box is good. The four fuses in the interior fuse box are good. With low beams on power is to the two low beam fuses. With the high beams on there is power to the high beam fuses. Dash lights come on. Tail light and side markers come on. High beam indicator on the cluster does not come on. No voltage at the headlight bulbs. I ripped my fuse box out and found the connector for the headlights to the fuse box has corrosion. Cleaned the connector and it is good but it didn't help. I got a steal on a brand new fuse box and that should be at my house tomorrow. I hope that is the issue because I don't see anything between the fuse box and the head light connectors. At the plugs and at the fuse box I find no shorts to ground.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This is the same problem I’m having except it’s my corner ambers and not the headlights. No juice, all fuses good, switch, etc... I am also starting to think it’s time to change the fuse panel. Nothing else left... it’s frustrating.....

Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

double check the grounds

Old 01-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Drifting

Replaced the fuse box and still having the same issue. Checked for ground at the plug and I have ground just no power. There is a module on the back of the fuse box that I have no clue what is does. So frustrating since the sun is half way down when I get off work.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by azazel_18_2
30A fuse in the under hood fuse box is good. The four fuses in the interior fuse box are good. With low beams on power is to the two low beam fuses. With the high beams on there is power to the high beam fuses. Dash lights come on. Tail light and side markers come on. High beam indicator on the cluster does not come on. No voltage at the headlight bulbs. I ripped my fuse box out and found the connector for the headlights to the fuse box has corrosion. Cleaned the connector and it is good but it didn't help. I got a steal on a brand new fuse box and that should be at my house tomorrow. I hope that is the issue because I don't see anything between the fuse box and the head light connectors. At the plugs and at the fuse box I find no shorts to ground.
When you checked the connector and you found corrosion behind fuse box did you use a meter to see if you had voltage at the connector? check it with the connector plugged into the fuse box and check it with the connector unplugged if you have power at the connector you may have a corroded pin at the plug along with corrosion at the end of the connector pin where the wire is crimped to the pin, if so you may need to get some pigtails to put into the connector and cut, splice, solder to the existing wiring harness about three inches past the crimped connector then it should work. Try that.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
Winching
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

So, you do have power at C104-1 & C103-1?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Fixed it thank God. I found the module on the back of the fuse box was no good. Found a great deal on a brand new one and installed it, Viola I have headlights again!