Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our 2001 Project DII

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Heads are off! Now to get all the lifters
Lifters from #8 they won the battle with the cam that's for sure

Old 08-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't see a picture of the cam shaft, will you post one? Great thread, wonder if you'll be able to identify the cause of the rocker shaft break?

Old 08-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
Any insight (trick) to getting that 13 mm bolt off the back of the drivers side head to remove the harness would be great
Is that bolt on the grounding strap or the wiring harness? I'm trying to remember back (years) when my engine had yet to be pulled the first time--way back when stuff was where it was supposed to be.

If recollection serves, that is a very short bolt. The first time I removed it, I used a hinged ratchet from harbor freight to "reach around the corner" of the driver head, but I had already moved the engine slightly with my crane. After that, I used some fancy hinged, ratcheting wrenches.

I'm having a ball catching up on your thread. Great work! Glad to see you tire that engine open.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-26-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Glad you're checking in here Charlie.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

So an observation: that rocker shaft snapped because someone overtorqued the bolts. This has happened to other engine I’ve seen.

You are going to want to check those threads in he bolt holes of the head to make sure they are ok. Could be stripped...

question: how did you see the cam with only the “upper manifold” off? Can you post a pic of the cam?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Wesley Lueders
I didn't see a picture of the cam shaft, will you post one? Great thread, wonder if you'll be able to identify the cause of the rocker shaft break?
I have a video of the inspection I will try and find

Old 08-26-2018, 02:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Is that bolt on the grounding strap or the wiring harness? I'm trying to remember back (years) when my engine had yet to be pulled the first time--way back when stuff was where it was supposed to be.

If recollection serves, that is a very short bolt. The first time I removed it, I used a hinged ratchet from harbor freight to "reach around the corner" of the driver head, but I had already moved the engine slightly with my crane. After that, I used some fancy hinged, ratcheting wrenches.

I'm having a ball catching up on your thread. Great work! Glad to see you tire that engine open.

I finally got it Charlie. I might need Tommy John surgery after rupturing my UCL lol. I watched the O2 sensor vid the other night, Brought back great memories. Or how bout the one where I name you of being complicit in blowing me up looking for the vacuum lek? LOL
Water pump is now off as well. I was surprised at how good the heads look. Clearly though this is the second set on this Disco. Wondering if I should go the trouble of valve work. I might just take the heads to a machine shop and have them surfaced. The gasket looked great too. I just thought as long I was doing the cam....

Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Brian.
I would have driven off cliff if he wasn't

Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Brian.
Thanks, Brian!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DiscoBuckeye
I finally got it Charlie. I might need Tommy John surgery after rupturing my UCL lol. I watched the O2 sensor vid the other night, Brought back great memories. Or how bout the one where I name you of being complicit in blowing me up looking for the vacuum lek? LOL
Water pump is now off as well. I was surprised at how good the heads look. Clearly though this is the second set on this Disco. Wondering if I should go the trouble of valve work. I might just take the heads to a machine shop and have them surfaced. The gasket looked great too. I just thought as long I was doing the cam....

Haha!! YES! I still spray volatile liquids in the engine compartment when I think there might be a vac leak.

A mechanic told me to check the heads at home by pouring water in them (off the truck) to see if any gets past the valves. Not the most scientific test but I've done it a couple of times and you can tell when the valves are not seated properly.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-28-2018 at 07:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DiscoBuckeye (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Our 2001 Project DII