Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

WOW!! That thing is gorgeous. Keep it looking that good and in a few years you'll have yourself a $10,000 Disco.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Eons ago I had a 97 that I thoroughly enjoyed on the trail. Sold it to some snot nosed kid and regretted it ever since. Told myself if I can ever find one in like new shape I would buy it. So when this one came along I snagged it up knowing it wouldn't likely happen again. We've all been bitten by the bug. Once you get it it doesn't go away, lol.

Last edited by stillruns; 10-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Still-runs. Was this thing someones 4th car that they never put miles on? Incredible shape.

Just got an ashcroft 380 to make the white car drive again. Not cheap but she did make it from Feb-August and 5k miles on the worst sounding tranny I have ever encountered.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Went to the junk yard today and picked up some random parts off of a decent looking 97, really a shame that it was in there. I grabbed a lock actuator for my passenger door, a rear drive shaft and that one power steering hose that always leaks (you know the one).

I wanted to get rid of that dumb roto-flex thingy at the rear diff but unfortunately the drive shaft from the 1997 (single u-joint type) will not fit on my 1996. Does anyone know if the pinion yoke from the 1997 will fit on my 1996? if so I can put that drive shaft on.
This weekend I want to make a roof rack out of some EMT. I have been looking to do it for a while but I have very little free time because I am a Soldier. IF I end up doing it I will post pics.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by DavC
Still-runs. Was this thing someones 4th car that they never put miles on? Incredible shape.

Just got an ashcroft 380 to make the white car drive again. Not cheap but she did make it from Feb-August and 5k miles on the worst sounding tranny I have ever encountered.
I was looking at an Ashcroft R380 but found a used one. Did you get it straight from them?

Old 10-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DavC

It was a one-owner older woman who drove it believe it or not. California since 1998. Service records all there. She traded it in for a Toyota and it spent a whopping one day on Autotrader. I would like to get another older beater for the trails for sure. This one is just to nice to alter. A true original survivor is about near impossible to find.

Tell me more about this Ashcroft tranny you picked up.
I don’t know that I need one but if they make a substantial dfference and could be some preventative headaches i’m interested.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy

The R380 is a manual trans. It's basically just a rebuilt trans with the option of a HD throwout bearing. The thing is its cheaper to get a rebuilt Ashcroft shipped across the pond and tale the hit on core charge than it is to get your own R380 rebuilt stateside.

Originally Posted by stillruns
It was a one-owner older woman who drove it believe it or not. California since 1998. Service records all there. She traded it in for a Toyota and it spent a whopping one day on Autotrader. I would like to get another older beater for the trails for sure. This one is just to nice to alter. A true original survivor is about near impossible to find.

Tell me more about this Ashcroft tranny you picked up.
I don’t know that I need one but if they make a substantial dfference and could be some preventative headaches i’m interested.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Is this what we're talking about. Pulled from another forum:

Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Is this what we're talking about. Pulled from another forum:
Lol that's the exact unit, from Elizabeths Expo thread, The Ashcroft R380 on the shipping pallet. Nice find on the one owner CA car. Old lady near us has a twin 1995 white SD. Sadly I think she lost our contact info and either traded it in or sold it for nothing... It was a one owner bought from new and no rust, ran perfect also 5 speed.

FishEh: I did get one direct from Ashcroft, and yes took the hit on core charge. When we ordered from Ashcroft we kept the same ratios, and did not opt for the HD rear bearings, bit pricey at something like 130 GBP extra. Vehicle is completely factory and does not see anything worse than a dirt road these days, mostly highway miles.

Still Runs: If yours is not making any crazy noise, and it drives fine, I would not worry about it. Picked up our disco with ****ty low fluid, seller lied and misrepresented the car but we felt bad for her and took her home anyway, tranny screamed all the time, had to change oil every 2 weeks to nurse it along. Change your fluid to MTL and see what comes out.. bad swarf and flakes in the fluid? Main reason ours failed was because PO drove it with only 1/3 of the fluid inside for god knows how long.

Last edited by DavC; 10-18-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Pro Wrench

Out with the old plugs and wires, in with the new. Thanks to LRF for the advice. Next is the serp belt and thermostat.

Last edited by stillruns; 10-23-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?