Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Land Rovers, Range Rovers, and Freelanders.

I mis my Montero

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Spike I cant wait until you get your new RR! But I think you should keep the D1 for reliable off-road events. Would not want to get all those electronics onboard the RR wet.... $$$$$$
Nope, I'm a one truck kinda guy, my Rover and all of my spares and kit will go up and Craig's List after I buy my MKIII.
The MKIII is plenty waterproof, except the rear roof, it leaks when it rains onto the SAT/NAV/Infotainment computers, Rovers fix is a sheet of heavy mil plastic draped over them. Brilliant!! LOL!!
The nice thing about the MKIII is all of the electronics are inside and up high, including the SLS compressor, its in the spare tire well unlike the LR3 where it is under the truck, just like on the DII.
With the variable cam timing the MKIII averages low 20's highway and high teens around town.
It tows 7,7000lbs, the back seat is big enough for 2 car seats and a teenager, which I need.
Cargo room is plenty, the ARB winch bumper from a LR4 bolts up with alittle work, roof rack and rock sliders and ladder can all be had as well as a raised air intake.
But I wont do those things, I'll buy a boat and take the fam to the lake(s) instead.
I'll be able to 2-track, get around in the snow and spring floods, thats all I need.
The winch bumper is nice though, I've been in a few fender benders with mine and not a single scratch for me.

I like the LR3 because of its price and accessories are cheaper, such as winch bumper, roof rack etc., but I hate the interior of the truck, I LOVE the interior of the MKIII.

Last edited by Spike555; 09-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Many say go for the 2006 and newer on the range rover, to get the jag engine. Supposedly the bmw setup isn't as reliable.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

Thats what they say but the BMW engine is bullet proof, I've takled to techs, both Rover and BMW.
The timing chain tensioners go bad around 100k or so, they are hydraulic, $50 each, 15min R&R each side.
The alt is liquid cooled, 150amp, the t-stat is electronic, the RR and LR4's all run at 220*F, oil changes are 15,000 miles or once a year (but all techs say dont go past 5,000).
'06 and newer RR, all LR3's and all LR4's all use the same t-case, diffs, etc.
Almost all the parts are interchangeable between the models and if you know this stuff they are super cheap to keep on the road.
I would prefer a '07 because thats the first year the MKIII came with Terrain Response and the t-case's with Terrain Response are all infinity variable locking and can send as much as 80% of the power front or rear in a split second.
They have 8 clutches inside them to vary the locking, the '07+ also comes with a electronic variable locking rear diff, UV blocking glass, quad zone climate control...but it'll still be out of my price range, unless I find a junker.
There are some '04's on Craig's List with 200,000 miles on them and they are still fetching $10,000.
Conversion kits to dump the SLS and go to coils are still alot of money though.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Nope, I'm a one truck kinda guy, my Rover and all of my spares and kit will go up and Craig's List after I buy my MKIII.
The MKIII is plenty waterproof, except the rear roof, it leaks when it rains onto the SAT/NAV/Infotainment computers, Rovers fix is a sheet of heavy mil plastic draped over them. Brilliant!! LOL!!
The nice thing about the MKIII is all of the electronics are inside and up high, including the SLS compressor, its in the spare tire well unlike the LR3 where it is under the truck, just like on the DII.
With the variable cam timing the MKIII averages low 20's highway and high teens around town.
It tows 7,7000lbs, the back seat is big enough for 2 car seats and a teenager, which I need.
Cargo room is plenty, the ARB winch bumper from a LR4 bolts up with alittle work, roof rack and rock sliders and ladder can all be had as well as a raised air intake.
But I wont do those things, I'll buy a boat and take the fam to the lake(s) instead.
I'll be able to 2-track, get around in the snow and spring floods, thats all I need.
The winch bumper is nice though, I've been in a few fender benders with mine and not a single scratch for me.

I like the LR3 because of its price and accessories are cheaper, such as winch bumper, roof rack etc., but I hate the interior of the truck, I LOVE the interior of the MKIII.
Spike Im glad your back on the forums again! You know your **** lol. I love the Discovery 3/4 but Id have to agree with you about the ugly *** interior of Lr3.... almost prefer the leather interior of my D2 over the interior of the Lr3. Interesting about the location of the air compressor though, I wonder if the compressor in the Lr3 could be relocated to the wheel well like the RR setup? Anyways thats not important until I get my hands on a Lr3. But either way keep your eyes open, who knows maybe a nice 07 will pop up with a once in a lifetime deal you can afford! Remember way back before I got my D2 you once said something like "If you want something bad enough, keep looking and dont give up cause eventually you may find it"? SOmething to that effect lol well lets hope the saying holds true for you like it did me.

Your D1 should be donated to the Official LR Heritage society or whatever its called!!!!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

There is no wheel well in the LR3/4 because they are 7 passenger and they need the room for the seats so the spare tire is under the truck, which I dont like for many many reasons.
The Range Rover Sport is the same way, spare under the truck because the truck is shorter and there is not room for a spare under the floor like the full sized Range Rover.
The Range Rover Sport has the same interior as the LR3 and got Terrain Response in '06 but the full sized RR didnt get that until '07 but retained its classic styling interior, just a few upgrades to make it friendlier.

Last edited by Spike555; 09-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
There is no wheel well in the LR3/4 because they are 7 passenger and they need the room for the seats so the spare tire is under the truck, which I dont like for many many reasons.
The Range Rover Sport is the same way, spare under the truck because the truck is shorter and there is not room for a spare under the floor like the full sized Range Rover.
The Range Rover Sport has the same interior as the LR3 and got Terrain Response in '06 but the full sized RR didnt get that until '07 but retained its classic styling interior, just a few upgrades to make it friendlier.

I never understood why they waited so long to add the terrain response to the RR models. Usually LR puts more time, quality and goods in the RR models... maybe they thought the RR models did not need them at first? Kinda how they thought the D2 no longer needed the CDL..... but then put it back in afew years later. Yeah I hate the new location of the spare to! Belongs on the rear cargo door! When I do get my LR3 HSE HD I will be sure to add one of those custom spare tire assemlies to the cargo door. Ive seen afew people do it and it makes the Lr3 look beefier.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Team Owner

They deleted the CDL on the DII because no one in the US took their truck off road, they were all grocery getters and mall crawlers.
They put it back because it was the final year and they wanted it to be special.
The 2005 model year was the last of the BMW years and a cross over year to 2006.
Ford took over in 2003? but was under contract with BMW for engines until 2005, Ford designed the LR3 and launched it in 2005 as a brand new model but because of the BMW contract with the RR they had to stick with the "old" stuff but because the LR3 was Fords creation they could do whatever they wanted.
They also introduced the RR Sport, so it too was a Ford "invention" so it got Terrain Response, etc. its basically a LR3 with a super charged engine and nicer interior.
The 2005 RR has both Ford and BMW electronics and software, BMW SAT/NAV computer and Ford fiber optic's and stereo.
2005 LR3, RR Sport and 2006 RR full size are all Ford.
The BMW year Range Rovers can use BMW parts for almost everything, most DIYer's go to the BMW dealership to buy their Rover parts because they are cheaper.
The BMW year RR's are similar to the BMW 5 and 7 series.