Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Nitto Tires, Not for offroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Nitto Tires, Not for offroad

So, I bought 4 new Nitto NT421Q, 265/60/18 tires last year for my 2007 LR3. Great tire on dry and wet pavement, even does ok in the snow. It's quiet, responsive, and rides smooth. However, I have a gravel driveway to my house. In the first 10,000 miles I had a puncture total/failure of one of the tires. No problem, Discount Tire replaced it for free. Now with 32,000 miles, (this is a 70,000 mile tire), I have had the second puncture/total failure. Discount Tire does not want to warranty it. I sent two e-mails and a phone call to Nitto customer service, and they do not want to warranty it. We drive several other vehicles in and out the driveway daily, and have had no punctures/flats or problems. On inspection of the offending tire, once it was off the rim, they are of noticeably thinner construction. These are punctures through the meat of the tire, not the sidewall.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing any more Nitto tires.

Last edited by RoverLad; 08-12-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Those Nitto's are definitely not meant for Off-highway use.

They make other tires that are a better choice, but sadly none are sold in the stock 18" size.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, in the 18", those are it (from Nitto). If I were doing real off-roading I'd use one of the Defenders I have. I am just disappointed in the fact I can't drive down my driveway without a failure.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverLad
So, I bought 4 new Nitto NT421Q, 265/60/18 tires last year for my 2007 LR3. Great tire on dry and wet pavement, even does ok in the snow. It's quiet, responsive, and rides smooth. However, I have a gravel driveway to my house. In the first 10,000 miles I had a puncture total/failure of one of the tires. No problem, Discount Tire replaced it for free. Now with 32,000 miles, (this is a 70,000 mile tire), I have had the second puncture/total failure. Discount Tire does not want to warranty it. I sent two e-mails and a phone call to Nitto customer service, and they do not want to warranty it. We drive several other vehicles in and out the driveway daily, and have had no punctures/flats or problems. On inspection of the offending tire, once it was off the rim, they are of noticeably thinner construction. These are punctures through the meat of the tire, not the sidewall.

Needless to say, I will not be purchasing any more Nitto tires.
Explain what does a puncture have to do with warranty ?

punctures are no fault if the/any tire

and it does not matter what brand you buy .....if you puncture, a tyre you are responsible for it... its not a manufacture's defect.....

this sounds like an everyday occurrence ,
you need to be fair to the system ...

Princess Diana died in a Mercedes Benz.... where is the company today ?

do you drive the other vehicles on the exact same tread track on the driveway ? is it overinflated ? what punctured the tyre ? can you answer

You need to be reasonable , Nitto tyres are great off road , you are just being an unreasonable customer ....

Old 08-17-2015, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

justryan, Great questions. In fact, I probably would not have posted this, or posted a poor review on the Nitto Website if their personnel had asked any of these. The entire vehicle, to include the tires receives regular maintenance. Tires are rotated and balanced every 5k miles. This had in fact just been done the week prior, so I know the pressures were at manufactures specs. It was implied, but apparently not clear, the actual gravel (gravel driveway) is what is puncturing the tires. The punctures have both been right through the tread, not the shoulder or sidewall. Three other SUV's with highway tires follow the same path daily, and have not had any problems. My purpose is to see if anyone else has had similar problems, or to make others aware. This tire does well on the highway as stated. It does wear rather quickly though. For a tire with a 70,000 mile estimate, it is worn around 70% at 32,000 miles. Remember, the first puncture came at 10,000 miles. Thanks for your interest.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

FWIW I have Nittos on one truck and Toyos on the other. Not apples to apples because the former are AT and the latter MT, but the difference in wear and sidewall are stark. The Nittos balloon out if they are a little low on air, and the Toyos don't. The Nittos are more worn with less miles (15k less). Again, not apples to apples but enough for me to switch brands next time I replace tires. All onroad driving for both.

Also, I should add that the Nittos replaced Toyo MT's so I have had an apples to apples comparison, just not at the same time. I got the Nittos because wife drives that truck sometimes and wanted something less "Charlie-fied," which translates to "redneck". Also, they were a little cheaper. The Nittos do ride better on pavement though.

We have over 60 tires on the ground and most of them are in the 400-1000 dollar range, so I pay attention to them, even the cheapies.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-17-2015 at 09:19 AM.