Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Hello:

Anyone running these particular tires and if so, care to comment on their offroad capability vs more dedicated all terrain tires? Considering a set for my LR3 as an alternative to the Wrangler MTRs because I know that as much as my ideal lifestyle would have me spending more time offroad than on, the reality is that my LR3 will be pressed into service on the highway a fair amount and I am concerned about the road noise on the MTRs spoiling what is the perfect rig. I know, switch to 18's and buy the Silent Armours...I just dont like the look of the 18 inch wheels available for the LR3. Maybe once she's out of warranty I will go full G4 clone; but for now...

Any feedback is appreciated and thanks

Bob

Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Bob, The Perelli is a good tire but because of it's really soft rubber compound, they don't last long.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Mike-
Glad you chimed in, your wealth of knowledge on all things LR is impressive from the short time I have spent on this forum. When you say they dont last long, what are we talking, 10K, 20K?

Thanks

Bob

Old 01-07-2023, 01:42 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just wanted to give an update to my experience with the Scorpion ATR in 255/60/18. Had them installed at Discount Tire 2.5 years and 20k miles ago before replacing them. I had an alignment performed after install at my local LR dealer as well. They rode fine for a while but began having balancing problems after about 10k miles. Discount Tire even Road Force balanced them which would work for about 1000 miles and the vibrations would return. Tried them at all sorts of tire pressures from low 40s psi down to 32psi and they were either too harsh or too soft. Performed OK for the most part and wasn't overly impressed in snow conditions but did fine in rain and wet roads. They wore down almost to wear bars in this time and wore extremely bad on outside edges. Replaced with my tried and true Tire of choice, BFG All terrains in 265/60/18. Just did a 1200 mile trip loaded with ski gear clothes and food with 6 passengers. I ran 50psi on the rear due to loose feeling in back at previous 42 psi and ran 45 psi in front. My ride was hands down better than anything I experienced with the pirelli tires which was a suprise since the BFGs are E rated plus they were sure footed in the mountain snow as always. I also have the BFGs in 33s on 16 in wheels on my Toyota 80 series which is a dedicated trail rig and has been abused in all sorts of terrain including Moab. Even with chunks out of the tread they still perform amazing and stay balanced. So there you have it. I'm sold on BFGs.

2006 LR3 with new lower arms and bushes, front airbags/shocks, and other suspension maintenance items.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:25 AM
guy
Winching
Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts

I too have the Pirelli Scorpion Tires (oversized as well) on the LR2.
Firstly, they are NOT extreme winter snow tires. They lack the sipes for good traction on ice, etc. Needless to say, where I live a actual winter tires are a must.
But for the 3 seasons and off road, deep mud, wet grass, rocks, etc; they are grand. Mine are wearing evenly. Mind you I have the alignment checked annually… old habit.
My preference is to not inflate to the recommended pressure with these tires…. I find the road handling too bouncy at that pressure.
My experience is that all Pirelli’ wear a little faster than Michelins or Continentals. And the mileage will not be as good. However, imho, that comes with the territory. These are not concerns for me.
Cheers.