Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Oil Pan Gasket Recommendation Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Funky Cole long and lanky, little love goes a long ways lady.......howdy! I do miss speaking with the Master, I do. When you gonna get that 2017 Range Rover Dr. Cole? Happy Women's Day!
Ha Ha.. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RTV Question

Hi All, how much RTV do you use (apply thickly or thinly) and once you put everything back together how long do you wait until you start the engine?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

There is a product called "Right Stuff" that works way better than RTV. Permatex The Right Stuff Gasket Maker 5 oz. | Staples® Right Stuff is almost a glue, it bonds the pan to the motor. Excess RTV if applied too thick squishes out, will eventually end up in the bottom of the oil pan where the oil pump pick-up screen is. That screen if blocked will reduce the amount of oil going to the pump and that means it reduces the pressure to push into the many small galleys throughout the motor to keep things from touching one another. If you're going to use RTV use as thin a bead as possible so that it doesn't "squish" over the lip of the pan. Thin works best, let it "skin" before putting the pan back on.

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Something I just thought of, you'll want to clean both the bottom of the motor where the gasket material is going to seal and the oil pan lip. I use this for cleaning metal surfaces; Klean-Strip 32 oz. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) Solvent-QME71 - The Home Depot It's a very strong solvent that dries quickly.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Rock Crawling

There is a product called "Right Stuff" that works way better than RTV. Permatex The Right Stuff Gasket Maker 5 oz. | Staples® Right Stuff is almost a glue, it bonds the pan to the motor. Excess RTV if applied too thick squishes out, will eventually end up in the bottom of the oil pan where the oil pump pick-up screen is. That screen if blocked will reduce the amount of oil going to the pump and that means it reduces the pressure to push into the many small galleys throughout the motor to keep things from touching one another. If you're going to use RTV use as thin a bead as possible so that it doesn't "squish" over the lip of the pan. Thin works best, let it "skin" before putting the pan back on.
Thanks Scouts but after you put the pan back on how long do you have to wait before you start the engine?

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

If you are using the Permatex Ultra Black or Gray then full cure takes 24 hrs. I think Right Stuff is the same, but you can get all the info you need here >

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-series-gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/

colemtd (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy

Whatever you're using - read the label......

colemtd (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover

If you are using the Permatex Ultra Black or Gray then full cure takes 24 hrs. I think Right Stuff is the same, but you can get all the info you need here >

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-series-gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-4/
Thanks so does that mean that I can't start the car for an hour or I should wait 24 hours to start the car?

Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Whatever you're using - read the label......
Thanks but WWSD? LOL!

Hmmm.. What Would Scouts Do.. Would you wait 24 hours to start it up or how many hours would you wait to start it up and drive it?

Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Really?

I'd let it cure overnight and drive it the next morning.

......it would start with a shiver.

That's what I'd do........ who's Scouts?

colemtd (03-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket Recommendation Needed