Go Back   Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum > Vehicle Line Up > Discovery II
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Can you drive with a blown head gasket?

I'm getting a free Land Rover Disco 2, however I have to drive it ~400 miles from NC to Florida. Last time I was with the vehicle I replaced thermostat, flushed coolant, added coolant, and bled all the air out.

The waterfall sound behind the dash went away however I didn't get a chance to drive it around to make sure it didn't overheat at all. I got a family member to drive the vehicle the other day (before I go pick it up) to see if its in good running order, they said they drove it around 30 miles, no overheating, and everything runs good.

However if for whatever reason the headgasket is gone and the waterfall sound comes back on my roadtrip down to FL, can I keep driving on it if I stay around 55mph on the highway and make sure coolant stays topped up? No I haven't done the chemical test. This is just worst case scenario.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

To answer your question yes depends on the severity of it.

I would not risk it with out a ultra gauge to monitor real temps the idiot gauge will not give you enough time to pull off to the shoulder... if you have some tools and a few hundred bucks you could just make the repair in Flordia before you drive home. Then your set also be careful with the drive shaft especially since its been sitting. .
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM

Philip Lawrence
Send a message via Skype™ to Spike555

As long as you dont overheat it or the leak is so bad that it floods the cylinder you'll be fine.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

If planning on HG job anyway,,,, carry a container of stopz leakz product, like KSeal. May slow down leak for a while if needed. Also use a scanner or Ultra Gauge to keep an Eagle eye on the coolant temp. Carry water, so you can top off as needed between exits if stuck.

Also keep an eye on the coolant cap and the oil dipstick for signs of liquid crossbreeding.

Cooling System Problems: http://landroverforums.com/forum/gen...verview-51034/
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 PM

how is the head gasket bad? Coolant into the cylinders, Exhaust into the Coolant, Coolant leaking from the Block exhaust leaking from the block?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM

that is unless the steam blowing past the head gasket cuts a groove in the head or the block as they are both alumium there is a 50-50 chance as to which one will be damaged.
84 Bronco 429 PI (his)
73 Jeepster Commando (his)
67 mustang GTA (his)
66 Dodge Coronet (hers)
69 Honda SOHC (his)
71 HD FX (his)
72 BSA Lightning (hers)
73 Honda SOHC (his)
78 Honda SS (his)
87 HD FLTP (his)
2004 HD SE 103 (his)
He who dies with the most toys, WINS
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM

sure and you can run with scissors and shoot a gun straight up in the air. It's just not the smartest thing to do.
'03 Disco, Head rebuilt, new front prop shaft, new transmission, 2" OME lift with nitro shocks, ARB front bumper W/winch basket, Safari Guard rock sliders, 265/75/16 silent armour, Yellowtop battery, scangaugeII some under armour, looking to add CDL. Have done 100% of mikes major service,including magnecore wires and +4 plugs. VIN# is in the "range" but what will be will be... all I can do is enjoy till then.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Tags
bad, blow, blown, car, discovery, drive, driving, gasket, gaskets, head, it, land, make, range, rover