Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry to hear of this experience but this is not a first for this vendor. Same pattern of behavior. Bad motor, lots of promises, no further communication. I'll be looking to the UK for a new motor for my D2.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NVDiscovery
Sorry to hear of this experience but this is not a first for this vendor. Same pattern of behavior. Bad motor, lots of promises, no further communication. I'll be looking to the UK for a new motor for my D2.
Curious of where you are getting this info from? I am not doubting you, but the OP has not responded for more info and Forums are notorious for spreading false truths. It would sux if Steves business has issue to be resolved due to lack of communication and problem resolution but what would sux worse is if this is all conjecture or due to the fact that someone was not patient for resolution. That is all I am implying....

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 03-10-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:41 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I have read some negative feedback about cannibal on disco web, but that was around 2 years ago.

2 things stand out for me:

How do you rebuild a front cover? Of course you are going to change the oil pump and o rings, etc. but if the front cover is worn, you have to replace it? Correct?

Being that I have had a motor built by a reputable builder and it went south, I have decided that all engine builders should do the 500 mile break in, in a test car, then pull inspect and sale it. It's obvious cannibal and the builder that screwed me have a ton of experience, so it seems it's not perfect/exact each time for whatever reason. By breaking in a motor pre delivery the builder can ensure that all went well and eliminate doubt on both sides.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Definitely sucks to see. Exactly why I wouldn't get in the business of rebuilding these POS engines. I've driven a cannibal v8 and it was beyond exceptional. That was prior to this build.

Just goes to show, you can do the same quality work on two engines and one grenade a day later. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit better communication and support.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Definitely sucks to see. Exactly why I wouldn't get in the business of rebuilding these POS engines. I've driven a cannibal v8 and it was beyond exceptional. That was prior to this build.

Just goes to show, you can do the same quality work on two engines and one grenade a day later. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit better communication and support.

you are right these motors are POS. But my guess at this point is that this is over heightened internet frenzy crap due to lack of complete communication. I know Steve and unless he has decided to get out of the business of taking care of his customers which I very much doubt, then this is another case of slamming a manufacturer which seems to multiply due to the virus affect...again I say Call Steve and talk to him to anyone that is looking to purchase. If I am wrong, I apologize but the engine purchase experience and +10k miles later has been top notch for me...My shop of choice "The Shop" has installed several of these motors and no issues to my knowledge. Call Luke and ask him!

Last edited by Yoops Racing; 03-10-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by abran
I have read some negative feedback about cannibal on disco web, but that was around 2 years ago.

2 things stand out for me:

How do you rebuild a front cover? Of course you are going to change the oil pump and o rings, etc. but if the front cover is worn, you have to replace it? Correct?

Being that I have had a motor built by a reputable builder and it went south, I have decided that all engine builders should do the 500 mile break in, in a test car, then pull inspect and sale it. It's obvious cannibal and the builder that screwed me have a ton of experience, so it seems it's not perfect/exact each time for whatever reason. By breaking in a motor pre delivery the builder can ensure that all went well and eliminate doubt on both sides.

the only way I am aware of that you rebuild a front cover is to replace the oil pump gears, orings and gasket cover correct? . Like everything there is always a chance something can fail. You found this out from a reputable builder...this could have happened as well at Cannibal or Turner or? ?...but to crucify them without merit or addl feedback /communication is ridiculous. My 1.25cents..

Old 03-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
the only way I am aware of that you rebuild a front cover is to replace the oil pump gears, orings and gasket cover correct? . Like everything there is always a chance something can fail. You found this out from a reputable builder...this could have happened as well at Cannibal or Turner or? ?...but to crucify them without merit or addl feedback /communication is ridiculous. My 1.25cents..
Yoops isn't there also a pressure release valve? On the front cover? I'm having some low pressure at idle and startup and am learning about that valve. If I recall correctly Cannibal requires that the valve be checked before running the engine. I think I read that in their website and am about to crack the RAVE to find out. Maybe is was somewhere else. Maybe not relevant. And it seems like the OP had a rebuilt front cover anyway. Disregard. Ugh.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

First of all, I have no affiliation with Cannibal. Never bought a Cannibal product. No association with Cannibal's competitors.

There are two likely engine rebuild routes for me due to my location and the need for adequate warranty/service coverage if my original engine got fried. My options are Turner UK or Cannibal. Past postings (whether positive or negative) on the Turner or Cannibal product and service has always interested me.

My post is not in any way to dis-credit the OP. It sucks to put so much money into a re-build and not have it work right. I also feel it would be fair for Cannibal / Steve to have an opportunity to review and comment on this thread.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
Curious of where you are getting this info from? I am not doubting you, but the OP has not responded for more info and Forums are notorious for spreading false truths. It would sux if Steves business has issue to be resolved due to lack of communication and problem resolution but what would sux worse is if this is all conjecture or due to the fact that someone was not patient for resolution. That is all I am implying....

Dave,
The truck is in our shop (Lucky 8) as we speak. We took those pictures. I know the OP personally and he has made a valiant effort and has been a hell of a lot nicer about it than I ever would've been. He has been beyond patient in waiting for a resolution to this. It was miraculous however that he received a response from Cannibal not but a few hours after he went public with this.

Last edited by WNYErikDiscoII; 03-10-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Glad to see a follow up from someone that witnessed this escapade first hand. Really sucks to see, I was seriously considering a Cannibal if my engine ever went to sh*t. I guess that idea is out the door now. Thanks Erik.

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
Dave,
The truck is in our shop (Lucky 8) as we speak. We took those pictures. I know the OP personally and he has made a valiant effort and has been a hell of a lot nicer about it than I ever would've been. He has been beyond patient in waiting for a resolution to this. It was miraculous however that he received a response from Cannibal not but a few hours after he went public with this.

Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!