Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!

The pictures reflect what my new CannibalV8 5.0l BG Signature engine with "turnkey" installation looks like after just over 1000 miles & $12,000.00 invested. Steve Johnson personally cranked up the RPM's in front of me telling me "that's where the engine was happy", to cover the oil light & bad rebuild of the front cover. When I demanded it be repaired later that evening & the following day, he blamed it on the pressure sensor and told me not to worry about it as the pressure was good by mechanical gauge, and to put a piece of tape over the light if it bothered me; the oil pump has subsequently failed. He took my good (non-leaking) radiator & installed a replacement (leaking) radiator, padded the bill with numerous now known not to be true to add-on's to jack up the final bill. Now, a month after he initially agreed to repair the engine at his cost and make it right under warrant (both verbally and in writing), he just avoids my calls, replies with meaningless emails and texts, or promises to call back later, but never does.

Attached Thumbnails CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_2026_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_2041_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_2039_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_2040_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_1879_resized.jpg  

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_1843_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-img_2027_resized.jpg   CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!-20160214_074318_resized.jpg  
Old 03-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

In the picture that oil pump looks pretty much fine. I see one crack in the outside edge of the outer ring, so it should definitely be replaced, but it would still hold pressure just fine until it cracked all the way through to the inside. Definitely wouldn't cause the pressure light to come on. I wouldn't call that pump really failed (yet).

Also, why did he replace your radiator? I'm sure you asked or he gave you a reason. Sometimes replacement rads leak, so I wouldn't worry about that unless he wouldn't replace it.

What kinds of add-ons are you talking about? How do you know they're not true?

I'm not saying your story isn't true, you just aren't giving us very much information and almost no evidence when bashing a very reputable company. The Cannibal V8 is one of the two if not the most common third party Rover V8 on the market and I've heard very VERY little negative about them other than the fact that they're kinda slow. I just feel a little more elaboration and evidence is in order.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

My guess is the front cover itself is out of spec and that is causing the oil pressure issue. Might have led to the pump gear cracking as well.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are on my radar so I'd love for you to elaborate. If I spent $12k only to have someone tell me to cover a warning light with a piece of tape I'd be calling my attorney.

Last edited by Redduc; 03-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Seattled2 (08-03-2020)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wrongway1
The pictures reflect what my new CannibalV8 5.0l BG Signature engine with "turnkey" installation looks like after just over 1000 miles & $12,000.00 invested. Steve Johnson personally cranked up the RPM's in front of me telling me "that's where the engine was happy", to cover the oil light & bad rebuild of the front cover. When I demanded it be repaired later that evening & the following day, he blamed it on the pressure sensor and told me not to worry about it as the pressure was good by mechanical gauge, and to put a piece of tape over the light if it bothered me; the oil pump has subsequently failed. He took my good (non-leaking) radiator & installed a replacement (leaking) radiator, padded the bill with numerous now known not to be true to add-on's to jack up the final bill. Now, a month after he initially agreed to repair the engine at his cost and make it right under warrant (both verbally and in writing), he just avoids my calls, replies with meaningless emails and texts, or promises to call back later, but never does.

wow first I am sorry. I only publish negative stuff when I have exhausted all possibilities. This is not how Steve handled my engine experience. I can not say enough positive things. The experience was top notch, no complaints, only positives.Curious what cost 12k? I assume a bunch more than motor. Sounds like front cover gears were defective at quick glance. He requires new/rebuilt front covers. How long has it been that he installed til now? He always responded very quick to me and his follow up was a plus 100%. Hopefully he will respond quickly and take care of it to make you happy. Keep us posted.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

To the OP, I see two threads on this, and I want to be sure and ask you to follow up on the resolution. I have had Cannibal in my radar for a long time and have had shockingly good help from them even when they didn't stand to gain a dime... even to the extent that when I call to ask a question and don't leave a message, they call me back from caller ID!

But the ultimate question when it comes to my finances is the product and service they provide so, again, please follow up.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

the pump looks fine can no one else see all the destruction in the gears.
the face of the gears should be smooth not or spiral like that, those are gouge marks from the pump cover.
rotorgen oil pumps do not fail just because the are cracked,
the work of very fine tolerances.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-07-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Baja

from the OP in the D1 section:
it is a $12k 5.0 stroker motor, that was rebuilt and installed by cannibal.
there motor, there oil pump and cover, there install.
self destructed after 1000 miles.

THE GUY TOLD HIM TO COVER THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT,
think about it.

Last edited by drowssap; 03-07-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

That's a real bad deal. I recall speaking to someone at cannibal about my engine woe in the last couple of months and the fact that I might have to buy one of theirs and they used the word "scalloped" to describe oil pump damage like that (the speculation was that my oil pump was not turning correctly). The advice to me was that the front cover and oil pump would have to be replaced. Putting another oil pump in would result in a repeat of the damage. Luckily mine wasn't scalloped. Unluckily I had worse problems.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Baja

yeah, it too bad they sold him a new cover and pump and this still happened after 1000 miles.

Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!