Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Fuel Rail Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Discovery Fuel Rail Question

Ok, so there seem to be a lot of people who have upgraded the injectors on their Discovery 1s with the Ford 19 lb injectors. I was planning to do the same to my Discovery 2, but I ran into a problem. The injectors are too long. Once you got one side seated, the opposite side would hit the valve cover. I was wondering if it would be possible to fit a Discovery 1 or a P38 fuel rail to a Discovery 2 to accommodate the longer injectors? Has anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was wondering how those injectors you said you were putting in would work. I guess we now know.

I am not aware of anyone using any other injectors in there D2 besides the stock bosch. In my opinion the injectors in the D2 are a far better design then the D1 so there really is no need to change them.

And I'll need to do some research on the fuel rail question to better answer. I honestly have no idea what the D1 fuel rail even looks like. You might want to e-mail a member named paul grant. He sells used land rover parts and he might be able to tell you if they and compatible.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the stock D2 injectors are rated at? Im did some searching and found replacement injectors for the D2 bosch err6600 at 18.4 lbs hr. If thats the case then your going through all this work for .5lb improvement which you wont notice. I would suggest trying the ford 21lb hr injectors from the 4.0 liter V6. One major side effect is that the mass air flow will have to be calibrated for the larger injectors. On the fords I used to drill out the sample tube for the larger injector and your good to go. The disco has a more sensitive maf. I would like to hear if anyone else has upgraded the D2 injectors and what mods where done to allow to work

Old 09-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by billlapinga
Does anyone know what the stock D2 injectors are rated at? Im did some searching and found replacement injectors for the D2 bosch err6600 at 18.4 lbs hr. If thats the case then your going through all this work for .5lb improvement which you wont notice. I would suggest trying the ford 21lb hr injectors from the 4.0 liter V6. One major side effect is that the mass air flow will have to be calibrated for the larger injectors. On the fords I used to drill out the sample tube for the larger injector and your good to go. The disco has a more sensitive maf. I would like to hear if anyone else has upgraded the D2 injectors and what mods where done to allow to work
That is correct about the lbs hr. The difference is actually supposed to be found in the spray pattern. The factory injector is a single hole injector where as the Ford injectors are a 4 hole design resulting in a more misty spray and therefore a better burn.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I wonder how good the 4 spray pattern would be if installed in a fuel filterless system?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
That is correct about the lbs hr. The difference is actually supposed to be found in the spray pattern. The factory injector is a single hole injector where as the Ford injectors are a 4 hole design resulting in a more misty spray and therefore a better burn.
I just ran cleaner through mine and they are a 4 hole. You can see the 4 streams. I have to say, after seeing the inside on the manifold and heads on my truck the injectors are not the main thing holding it back from making more power. The inside of the casting is so confined and rough that it can't flow much air at all. Besides, I really don't see why people are so interested in trying out get more power out of these engines. Mine has plenty of power for such a heavy, boxy, ponderous truck.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery Fuel Rail Question-injector-01.jpg   Discovery Fuel Rail Question-injectror-02.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I just ran cleaner through mine and they are a 4 hole. You can see the 4 streams. I have to say, after seeing the inside on the manifold and heads on my truck the injectors are not the main thing holding it back from making more power. The inside of the casting is so confined and rough that it can't flow much air at all. Besides, I really don't see why people are so interested in trying out get more power out of these engines. Mine has plenty of power for such a heavy, boxy, ponderous truck.
Oh, I thought for sure I read they were single hole. No worries then, I'll leave them as is.

The roughness is no problem for me anymore. Not after the port and polish

Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Oh, I thought for sure I read they were single hole. No worries then, I'll leave them as is.

The roughness is no problem for me anymore. Not after the port and polish
It may help, but it will only get the air to the next barrier that much quicker. If you get a higher lift cam then you lose some low end which is what these trucks need so then you need to go for the next problem in the system.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

O2 sensors will just open a clogged injector LONGER to get the same fuel mixture.
As long as your check engine light is off - you are in closed loop and don't need to mess around with the injectors.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
It may help, but it will only get the air to the next barrier that much quicker. If you get a higher lift cam then you lose some low end which is what these trucks need so then you need to go for the next problem in the system.
I actually have a high torque cam which seems to be doing exceptionally, along with bleed down lifters which helped some with torque. Everything I've done to increase horsepower I've also done something to increase torque. She's probably in her final form now (with the stock engine, anyway) power train wise. Now I've got to move on to suspension work.

Quick Reply: Discovery Fuel Rail Question