Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly Wheel And Flex Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Wheel And Flex Plate

Ok guys, so to make a long story short. I started what was to be a head job on a 4.6 Disco 2 that evolved to a full rebuild. I pulled the trani as well after finding an oil soaked emergency brake drum. So seals replaced time to bolt motor to trani. And here's my issue. Per my opinion its taking to much force to bolt the the two together. I can manually marry the two and get just the tips of the guide pins in then I require the bolts to draw the two together. Not liking it when I loosen the bolts it springs back apart.

I gazillion time checked to ensure the TQ is seated fully. They' re are two sets of spines on the trani output shaft. After getting the TQ on the first I rotate while pushing till I feel sometime hear the second seating. This is confirmed by the resistance and the ability to rotate the TQ by turning the rear output shaft. Thus I think my order of assembly on the Flywheel and flex plate is my error. If someone has pics, diagram or a good memory I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried various combinations with the spacers. I started out with the diagram in the 40_46_V8_overhaul pdf. But per my opinion there is a lack of clarity and illustration. This is my first 4.6 but not my first rebuild. In the past I have been able to shake and shimmy trani's to a motor with only a hair of space to work out. Where as here I'm left with about 1/4 an inch of space. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Wheel And Flex Plate:(SOLVED)

Perhaps it was the rotation of the planet or barometric pressure. But for whatever reason I tried the same thing today and it worked with no fuss..Thanx all the viewed my post.