Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Disco vacuum hose off transfer case with hook on one end not connected

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 Disco vacuum hose off transfer case with hook on one end not connected

I found what seems to be a un-connected vacuum hose from the transfer case. It was hanging left side next to bell housing. I looked for any place where it could connect but nothing, also it was hooked on the end.

When I traced it back to transfer case it had melted a hole half way down, basically broke off, so know its just hanging free not conntected. question do I cap it off or try and run and extension because its a breather tube for transfer case?

Thanks,
Summitdog

Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is not a vac hose, but it looks like one. As you say, it is a vent line to allow fumes from lube to escape. There is also one for each axle. If they get water in them it is time to change fluids. If the get plugged with dirt and mud, like I had, the "banjo" bolt on the axle that connects to the tube will be clogged. That makes slight pressure, and gear lube is forced out the rear axle seals, mixes with brake dust, makes a rubbery gunk on the brake pads.

Part of off roading is extending them to above the expected level of water that you plan to go wading in.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

The vent tube with a hook on the end, is the tube for the transfer case. Like Buzz said, there are also breather tubes for front and rear axles, as well as the transmission. If the transfer case tube is melted or broken, it should be replaced. Your local hardware store should stock refrigerator icemaker tubing, Take a piece of your old breather to make sure you get the right size. Unclip the old tube from the transfer case, attach the new tube, and run it into the engine compartment, or higher if you desire for deeper wading.

*note: the hardware store store tubing is clear, and trying to dye it black results in a really pretty shade of purple!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly what I figured it would be just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the fast response guys appreciate it!