Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery oil leak. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks. Pictures are spot on. Ill try and pop it off tomorrow and see what I find :-(
Also is there any other dry equivalent to RTV (for example PTFE) that can be used? My concern is that the RTV will not stick to an oily bolt hole.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:23 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by chockster
Many thanks. Pictures are spot on. Ill try and pop it off tomorrow and see what I find :-(
Also is there any other dry equivalent to RTV (for example PTFE) that can be used? My concern is that the RTV will not stick to an oily bolt hole.

I'm not aware of a dry RTV, and you are correct the Permatex Ultra Black or any other RTV will not cure in oil.

You will need to clean the threads with a shot of brake parts cleaner first. Then be sure the threads are DRY (if you have compressed air use it) and apply the RTV. It sounds like more work, it's not and it's the ONLY WAY to get the best result.

Here is the link for PERMATEX (the instructions are very simple) & you can get this RTV at any auto parts store for about $7.00 a tube. https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-maker-4/
You'll get it sorted... Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to spend the morning working on the oil leak. What I found was a real pain.
each cylinder has been pinned very poorly. all bolts are loose in there holes and thread has been stripped causing mega oil loss. I retapped the holes slightly larger and wound in some bolts. What a pain in the ***. Im thinking of getting a 4.0 liter block (rather than 4.6) which has been unmolested and swapping it over. Anyone know if this will affect smog testing in CA?