Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated... won't start (no clicks... nothing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated... won't start (no clicks... nothing)

Hi guys... I am new to the board and to Land Rover world.

I just bought a 1995 Discovery I with 129K miles for $2,900 and the guy said the 4X4 does not work since 1 year ago... I test drove it and it hadnles well... the transmission shifts smooth, on time and with no noises. Since I mostly bought it to pull jetskies, I tought I will work on the 4X4 later down the road.

Anyway, my question/problem is this: (I am doing searches right now but on the mean time I tought to post)
The top radiator hose blew and the truck overheated a bit. I realized this after I saw all the vapor comming out from the hood. I parked the truck, bought the hose and 3 hours later, I was installing it at the parking lot. When I tryed to start the truck... NO CLICKS, NO... nothing. I tought my battery was dead/weak (all lights will work) but I jump started it anyway and nothing. I reached for the starter and tryed to jump the starter connections and nothing happened...

Do you think that my starter is dead or is there any electrical safety device that needs to be reseted after overheating it?

Would it have something to do with the alarm? (I did armed and disarmed but...)

THANK YOU

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Overheated... won't start (no clicks... nothing)

Any ideas...? Perhaps, should I post this on another section?

Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Moisture in a rover should not be much of a problem. I would start the checks with all of the fuses and relays. particularly the ones associated with the starting circuit. They can be found in the owners manual. If you don't have one they sell them on e-bay. I think the fuse panels/relays on the 94 are under the drivers side dash. the drivers and passengers side floor panels. The other is in the engine compartment. mine is on the passenger side of the engine compartment near the fender.
I am not aware of a disco without fulltime 4wd. I am presuming it is the low lock. the linkage for that.
Since you are new to the disco. I will shout the battle cry. Maintanence, keep it current, fix things as they brake if possible. Parts are not cheap. Keep the little things up and the big ones happen less often. I have a 96 disco 130k on it. had it for 10 years, no major problem. hope it helps. welcome to the rover world. duboff.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you for replying to my post... almost a year ago!

At the time I asked the same question to other forums and I got almost immidiate responses so I forgot to come back here.

My problem was fixed. It turned out to be the starter's selenoid. For some reason it was fried, craked and all broken inside. $35 dls part.

I still have some problems since but I will do some searches and/or start therad individually.