Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about air in the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Quick question about air in the cooling system

Greetings all
Last weekend I updated the throttle body heater plate and gasket on my 04 D2. While doing the job I accidentally snapped the brittle plastic cooling hose that connects the expansion tank to the throttle body heater plate. I opted to swap out the brittle plastic tube for a rubber fuel line. While swapping out the old hose I lost maybe a tablespoon of coolant at the throttle body heater plate and roughly about cup of coolant at the expansion tank. Since then Ive been losing maybe 2 cups worth of coolant every 2 days give or take and have had to top off the expansion tank twice so far. Ive briefly examined the engine bay and everything looks dry inside and I have not noticed any puddles of coolant beneath the truck. I also suspect that Im losing the coolant while the truck is off but I have not yet verified this. Prior to the throttle body heater plate update, I had absolutely no coolant loss. Couple days later now I do.

Anyways I do not want to jump the gun yet and assume my head gaskets are bad. Truth is my engine temps have been reasonable at 188 highway and 197-205 city with the AC on high. I updated the old thermostat for the 180 stat a couple months ago and the previous owner replaced the water pump. All major routine service up to 90,000 was done at Land Rover dealership. She is my daily driver.

Is it possible that air got into the cooling system while I was working on my truck as mentioned above, and is causing the problem with the coolant loss? If yes what can I do to get the air bubbles out of the system? Once I figure that out and if I still have the issue then I will have the cooling system tested as recommended. Certainly do not have the cash to have the head gaskets updated right now. In the process of replacing the front wheel hubs + sensors along with an engine oil flush and things like that.

Thanks all

Last edited by TRIARII; 09-30-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I would bleed it repeatedly. You created multiple entry points for air. There are a few processes on the site if you search. The simplest appears to be to dettach the overflow tank and elevate it and bleed the system.

Plus, it does not cost anything.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:43 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I let the truck sit overnight then proceeded to bleed the system this morning while the engine was nice and cold. Before I started I noticed the expansion tank was just under half full. Removed the bleed screw on the top of the t hose, removed the expansion tank cap and lifted the expansion tank up as far as it would go, immediatly coolant gushed out of the bleed screw hole for a couple seconds. Then I proceeded to fill up the expansion tank with coolant until the expansion tank was full and I observed a steady stream of coolant flow coming from the t-hose. Caped the bleed hole, refitted the expansion take in position then added a little more coolant before refitting the cap to the expansion tank. Turned the truck on and drove 15 minutes with the heat on high. Arrived at work and so far the coolant level is at the line where I filled to before I left for work today. Parked the truck in a clean spot in the parkinglot so if there is any leak I should be able to easily spot it.

Ill update on things tonight and tomorrow.